whimpering and crying question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

whimpering and crying question

Just bought a 9 week old GSD yesterday. Is it wrong to scold this early when she cries? This is when she is in her big cage in the house.
We want our welcome to be a nice one. She crys a little so I'm just going to let her cry and not do anything. Its a huge adjustment and I'm sure she is confused on the new surroundings.
I guess I'm just looking for reassurance on my decision.
I have toys in the cage to keep her happy. Oh yeah we take her out every 2 to 4 hours to relieve herself.
Thanks and Happy New Year!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=IMG_0074.jpg

Sandy
BTW we named her Heidi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

Re: whimpering and crying question

Hi Sandy and Heidi! Congratulations on the new pup.

Give her some time to become accustomed to her new home. She's a teeny baby, so some crying is to be expected for a while.

In general, ignore behaviors that you want to go away (such as crying) and reinforce behaviors that you want to repeat (such as being quiet)

So...when she cries, ignore. (ear plugs?) ;-)

When she is quiet, praise.

You might also want to up that going out schedule to every hour while she's awake. You'll have a better chance of catching her doing it right. 2-4 hours is a long time for a baby.

Good luck and ask lots of questions!

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Adorable puppy!

Puppies are supposed to whine and complain when left alone. It's how they get their mom/littermates to know they have been left behind. COME AND GET ME MOM!!!!!!!

What I do to help with this is I only crate when I'm not home and at night. The rest of the time I use babygates and closed doors to keep my puppy in the room with me. Helps with the housebreaking and the unwanted chewing when I'm right there and paying attention. I also purchase a massive waterproof tarp and that goes on the floor (over the carpet) where we spend the most time. Easy cleanup and no anger from me!

And the main thing I do is EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just went on a 2 MILE hike, offleash, with my friends new 8 week old German Shorthair Pointer puppy. That dog gone thing ran around the entire time, only had to be held a brief time for a rest, and we had 5 other adult dogs running around the woods too. When my friend got home she emailed me that her puppy wasn't even tired and was just as crazy as normal around the house! So THIS is the amount of energy a puppy can have and when you keep in crated or in the house why they whine and get into trouble.

The more I take my puppy out to socialize. Visit friends. Car rides. Meet friendly dogs. Puppy classes. Have friends over to play with the puppy. Exercise exercise exercise.............. the quieter the puppy is when I have to crate her. Longer she sleeps thru the night. Less whining in the crate.

I also keep the crate in the room I am in so she won't feel she has to 'call' me to remind me she's been abandoned and alone at the far side of the house.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: What I do to help with this is I only crate when I'm not home and at night. The rest of the time I use babygates and closed doors to keep my puppy in the room with me.
I agree with this...and even like the technique of tethering the pup to you around the house. Put the pup's leash on and tie it to your belt. Pup learns to follow you (since of course you ARE the center of his world!) and you can see if he's getting into position to pee before he goes behind the sofa.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Elite Member

hey sandy welcome! Heidi is gorgeous! Youve gotten some great advice already! I'd have to agree you should let her out of her crate more often and let her learn her boundries in the house. We used babygates and shut doors where they werent allowed. this way we always knew where they were and what they were doing, and they knew where i was so their was little to no whining. Excerise and Socialization are key to your puppy now. Make sure to keep her tired. I tired puppy is a happy puppy, they have so much energy to burn which means lots of play time!! Good Luck!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee...And the main thing I do is EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just went on a 2 MILE hike, offleash, with my friends new 8 week old German Shorthair Pointer puppy...
Ya ... they certainly can't get enough exercise for sure. However, depending on where you live, I would be careful taking a pup out and about until he/she's had all of their vaccinations. Parvo is alive and well in So.Cal. and I am seeing a lot more cases of late than ever before.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Good point JAguire! I completely forgot about that. We were going to take her to the park this morning but now I think I'm going to wait. She has her first set of shots and the second set is on the 7th. Besides that its really cold. She played in the yard yesterday for 3 hours. She really enjoyed that.
Folks I agree with everything your saying. She is loose in the house when we are able to focus on her which is a lot.
She is socializing with the weiners and the boston terrier too. She has friends already.
No, I'm not the mean prisoner lady so don't worry guys.
You know the good thing is I don't have carpet just hard wood floors in this old house so if an accident should happen its bleach mop and done. Well, not pure clorox-its the Clorox CLean-up. It works well.
The good thing is when she has to go she runs to the door and whimpers. I praise her "good Girl, let's go out"!
Another good thing is what you'all were talking about the socialization bit--I am so glad she has that from the people I bought her from. They had a little girl around 12 and another boy around 17 that constantly played with her. So she is on the right track as far as socializing with humans. She is not scared of anything. She is a little homesick though because I know she misses that girl. She weighs 22 pounds already so I believe she is going to be big. Her mother weighed 70. Her father weighed 100. I'm going to take lots of pictures of her so be prepared!
So far her name is Heidi Von-----something. So I need help with the last name.
Ok well, I'm going to wait on some more replies--thanks for anyone for more great ideas.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:41 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Quote:Another good thing is what you'all were talking about the socialization bit--I am so glad she has that from the people I bought her from. They had a little girl around 12 and another boy around 17 that constantly played with her. So she is on the right track as far as socializing with humans. She is not scared of anything.
Wonderful the breeder gave her such a good start, but all that can get messed up if we don't CONTINUE with the socialization. These darn pups go thru different fear and growth stages. So one week nothing bothers them and life is wonderful, the next it's a scary world!

http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm

Though parvo is an issue, and we do need to be aware of it. I know I weigh that with my common sense with a new puppy. So while I may not go to a dog park where I don't know the other dogs and their vaccination schedule. There are tons of places that have hardly any dogs running around and would be safe for my puppy. Friends with dogs and yards are ideal. Petsmart and other locations that allow dogs. Puppy classes with other concerned dog owner......

It's vital (to me) to not be overly concerned with disease so I isolated my puppy until the shots are all done. I know I can't get that time back and to have a happy and confident dog that was socialized properly as a puppy is key. So I plan my trips, use common sense, and 3 out of 3 of my dogs have had zero problems.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Wait a second--please nobody think she is not having socialization in this house. We are giving this puppy so much love. She stays in the crate only when I can't watch her.
The PC cables, phone lines,electric cords are all over this house so I have to protect her too. She only stays in the crate when we are not here or we are sleeping. She has accepted the crate and even goes in it when the door is open. She takes her bones and toys in there. She has many toys as we have for our other dogs. As a matter a fact I know why she was crying the way she was. She was hungry. I feed her 3 times a day but I noticed she wasn't eating as much as I liked her to so I switched to Science Diet can and mixing it into her dry Purina Puppoy Chow. She is eating much more now. I bought the Lamb and Rice Dry too and slowly will convert. She's now quiet most of the time except when she has to go out. She hasn't even had an accident in the 3 days she has been with us. Chris my husband ran a marathon around the yard today. Heidi won.
The park that I was talking about is not a dog park. So I'm thinking she'll be ok. Saturday its suppose to be back in the 70's here where I live I think we will go for a longer walk then.
BTW she is already good on and off the leash. She comes when I call her by name and she already looks at me like the pack leader.
Another words I don't need a leash to take her out. We do have a fenced yard too. I'm still using both just to keep her safe. There are so many things she likes to pick up to chew so the leash keeps her safe like I said.
Ok back to puppy hugs. Have a nice one!
Thanks, MaggieRoseLee for that info. I do appreciate it.
Its been 3 years since I've had a puppy this young and I just want to refresh my memory on the best care I can give.
This site sure has many good points and friendly people. Thanks for all your replies.

Sandy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Master Member

I love the picture in your aviater. TOO TOO cute.

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page