How do you teach corrective behavior, the command? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to wrenny
How do you teach corrective behavior, the command?

For instance the "off" command or the general "no" command. What do you use and how did you train it?

For off we basically set up some kind of thing we didn't want him to go into like a garabe can with a small towel hanging out. We walked him by it on a leash with my wife holding the leash and me a spray bottle. Once he started to try and grab the towel, I would spray and wife would pull him back saynig off immediately then "come here come here" followed by praise as he went away. About the third time he never went for the towel again.

But what about the general no command? I need to get out of t he habit of using the word no but it comes so naturally, lol. Do you guys use another word? If hes chewing something he shouldn't, do you just say no and redirect? did you have some sort of training way or just try to catch him in the act with perfect timing of redirection?

Lex, 10 years old RIP
Lincoln 4 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 AM

Re: How do you teach corrective behavior, the command?

We use 'leave it' . Now if Duke see's something unusual and I dont want him to pay attention to it we simply say'leave it'.

This works well for most things...food stuff, other dogs that are barking when we walk etc.

We taught him this by placing yumming food stuffs in a bowl and walking him past them, always setting him up for success at first, and by that I mean me being between him and the bowl at first. If he went to sniff I would simply say 'leave it' and keep walking.

Once I was happy with his progress i would then walk him past with him next to the bowl. Doesn't take long for these smart cookies to pick it up. That and lots of praise when they do the right thing works wonders.

Lisa

" My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. "

Codi's Mamma 4.12.1998 - 20.6.2006 RIP My Angel
Duke's Mamma 3.4.2006

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Crowned Member

I also use "leave IT" and teach some what similar to Lisa, only I just put the treat on the floor.

Off - is for the dog to remove its body from something.

I don't use no with my dogs. I have a sound I use AUUTT. Use any sound or word you want, but no is really a short soft word compaired to what I or some others use.

When teaching behaviors, which a command is just a good behavior, you find opportunities to use the command help your dog to perform and then mark with "Good" off sit or what every.

For the Negative command, I give that followed shortly by a good command, alsways when the pup is young mark the good command. Once a dog is older I will give only the no type command. But when young I want to be able to reward a behavior, so I ask for something I can reward, like a sit, down or what ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 AM

Looks like many of us use the "Leave It" command for a multitude of things. I teach mine a bit different in that my leave it is kind of growled at my pups and young dogs. As soon as they turn away from what I don't want them walking to, touching, or paying attention to, I then give them a good dog / good boy in a higher happy voice. I have never made it into a formal training session -- it has always been just one of those things that happen in regular daily living together.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Master Member

I always have a command to give to counter a bad behaviour such as off or leave it which he knows from a youngster. If I don't get what I'm looking for after giving the command, I use "ah-ah!" which he knows as meaning "wrong, try again." I don't think I've ever said "no" and he has no idea what it means when someone says it to him.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

I don't use NO because it can come up in conversation too much. If the dog hears the word and nothing happens the word loses it's 'power'.

I use AHCK! Like clock without the cl. I use it as an all purpose 'stop what you are doing' type command.

For training off I start with the least intrusive method possible. I want the dog to do the action on their own and get rewarded.

Our Chinese Crested LOVES to jump up on people. She stands on her back legs and paws at them. I start by telling people (before they meet her) to totally ignore her if she jumps on them. I stand next to them with loads of yummy treats. When she comes up and jumps I say Off, the people ignore her and soon she gives up and puts her feet back on the floor. I say GOOD OFF, give her a treat and the people are allowed to pet her.

Once I know she KNOWS that she's not allowed to jump on people (still working on that - she's SO darn happy to meet everyone ) then I will use a verbal correction. If that doesn't stop her I would move up to a physical one.

But for her, the most painful thing possible is to be ignored. And while this is a great motivator for training it also works against her in the self-control area. Good thing she's not a Great Dane!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Re: How do you teach corrective behavior, the comm

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerI also use "leave IT" and teach some what similar to Lisa, only I just put the treat on the floor.

Off - is for the dog to remove its body from something.

I don't use no with my dogs. I have a sound I use AUUTT. Use any sound or word you want, but no is really a short soft word compaired to what I or some others use.

When teaching behaviors, which a command is just a good behavior, you find opportunities to use the command help your dog to perform and then mark with "Good" off sit or what every.

For the Negative command, I give that followed shortly by a good command, alsways when the pup is young mark the good command. Once a dog is older I will give only the no type command. But when young I want to be able to reward a behavior, so I ask for something I can reward, like a sit, down or what ever.
This is exactly what we do... It has worked for us.

JoJo's Mom...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

For us, "leave it" means "ignore that thing that I know you're interested in" (could be another dog, squirrel, a piece of trash, my ice cream bowl, etc.)

for a general purpose sound that means "you know I don't like that thing you're doing, so stop it" I just growl--a very low, chest-voice "urrrrr." (this could be when they break a sit, dawdle when they are supposed to heal, bark at the neighbor--any mild infraction.)

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I use leave it the way Tracy does. To get them to stop immediately in their tracks, such as when they're contemplating a nose dive into a steaming pile of cow turd at the park or the litter box at home, it's a loud, sharp "ACK!"

"Off" means four on the floor - get off of what ever you're on, such as a piece of furniture, or jumping up on a person, or one of them having paws up on the other one.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page