Pooping inside - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By crittersitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Pooping inside

Hello, I have a 14 week old puppy and am having trouble potty training him. He always gets taken outside after he is fed and stays outside the majority of the day. He will pee outside every time he is taken out but will only poop once he gets inside. I was told he is being stubborn and would appreciate any advise y’all have. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:22 PM

He's not stubborn. He just not house trained. He's only 14 weeks old. Try crate training him. Living outside most of the day isn't the way to housebreak him. If he doesn't poo when you take him out after eating put him in his crate and take him out a little later and try again. Do not let him have run of the house unless he's done all his business and always praise him when he goes outside.
Chuck94! likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Master Member

HE'S NOT BEING STUBBORN HE'S A PUPPY!!!! You have to have structure and be consistent. Always go straight outside with your puppy right after naps, meals, and play time. It sucks, and you have to be patient, but you just gotta do it

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Master Member

If he’s outside most of the day at 14 weeks, you’ll never house break him. My sister had a Siberian Husky who preferred being outside. She then got a new puppy who wanted to be with the Husky. As a result, the puppy didn’t really learn not to go in the house because it spent most of the time outside. They need to learn not to go in the house so they need to be in the house for that to happen.

I would crate train and start at the beginning.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 PM
Master Member

Keep him tethered to you...and watch him like a hawk. When he gets into position, pick him up and take him outside. "Throw a party" when he does it outside. Use a specific word..."good potty" or "good poop" or whatever. Also, if he poops inside, you have to clean that spot completely. Use the special pet cleaners.

I got my puppy at 8 weeks old and he pooped in the house for the last time 3 days later. However my problem was the peeing. It took him months before he stopped peeing in the house. Also, my dog (now 19 months old tomorrow) is a creature of habit. It makes my life easier because I know where he likes to go. He tends to poop in the same spots. Then I don't need to walk forever. (I don't have a fenced in yard so I can't just let him out back.) If you try to keep a regular schedule, eventually he'll follow that schedule better than you can. His internal body clock can be quite accurate. For example, if I'm doing something at 5:30p, he'll come to me and harass me letting me know it's his dinner time...every day, without fail. So...structure is what dogs need for your sanity. You try to stay on the same schedule everyday and your dog will be satisfied and your life will less stressful....at the very least when he's still young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page