Prong collar? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Prong collar?

Hello I have a 4 month old male well not yet I pick him up this Saturday so is a prong collar best for leash training or is it good for all training along with a squeaky toy for attention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Doggy Dog 63 View Post
Hello I have a 4 month old male well not yet I pick him up this Saturday so is a prong collar best for leash training or is it good for all training along with a squeaky toy for attention
I’d never use a prong on a 4 month old for any reason. Training, walking, or otherwise. A 4 month old should do just fine with a flat collar and leash.

What makes you want to go straight to a prong?
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Master Member

I have used prongs and e collars. (to proof Rollo's heel off leash) Both are tools that are effective when used fairly & properly.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:47 AM

I typically don't use or recommend a prong or e-collar on dogs younger than 6-7 months. I like a harness and long line on puppies for most activities. I use a slip leash for some up close training stuff but most of my training before 6-7 months is just shaping/capturing behaviors through rewards and socialization to life with us.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
I typically don't use or recommend a prong or e-collar on dogs younger than 6-7 months. I like a harness and long line on puppies for most activities. I use a slip leash for some up close training stuff but most of my training before 6-7 months is just shaping/capturing behaviors through rewards and socialization to life with us.
That's essentially what I did. I believe we started the prong at 6 months & started e-collar at close to a year

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck94! View Post
I have used prongs and e collars. (to proof Rollo's heel off leash) Both are tools that are effective when used fairly & properly.
Completely agree, just not for the age of the pup in question.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I never said I was going to I was asking your opinions I have never used one but have read where a lot of people do use them what I did with my wolf hybrids which worked very well is very different from what I am finding in my studies on German Shepherd training. So my fist month is going to be bonding, sit, lay down, stay and leash walking and no prong collar is my thinking on track or is my thinking off
car2ner likes this.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

He is 4 months has had socialization with small kids small dogs and his dog family now it's my turn so I think bonding is the most important place to start
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Doggy Dog 63 View Post
I never said I was going to I was asking your opinions I have never used one but have read where a lot of people do use them what I did with my wolf hybrids which worked very well is very different from what I am finding in my studies on German Shepherd training. So my fist month is going to be bonding, sit, lay down, stay and leash walking and no prong collar is my thinking on track or is my thinking off
You just need to develop a solid training foundation first, before you use any tools like a prong or e-collar. Develop the base first.

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:05 PM

My dog started prong collar training at 4 months from a professional trainer. He is 5.5 months now and I get compliments on his behavior everywhere I go, from Market Basket and Home Depot to picking my daughter up from middle school. I take him everywhere with me. He is trained very well and listens with hardly little to no corrections at all. Everyone's view of training is different, I'm not a professional trainer, I take what they teach me and Koda and practice every day.

Koda Purebred GSD working line 1/2 East German & 1/2 West German
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page