Training video questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Training video questions

I’m getting ready to bring home my GSD puppy in about 2.5 weeks and have been doing a lot of research. I’ve really liked the Michael Ellis training videos I have seen and noticed he has many, many DVDs available. I was wanting to start with 3-4 DVDs and wondering which ones I should get.

I know I want The power of training dogs with food and The power of playing tug with your dog, but I’m unsure what other videos in his series would be best to start with.

Can anyone recommend what other videos I should focus on with my new companion? Should I get Raising your puppy, training the retrieve, focused heeling, or maybe the Ed Frawley video The power of training dogs with markers. Is there any certain ones I should focus on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
I’m getting ready to bring home my GSD puppy in about 2.5 weeks and have been doing a lot of research. I’ve really liked the Michael Ellis training videos I have seen and noticed he has many, many DVDs available. I was wanting to start with 3-4 DVDs and wondering which ones I should get.

I know I want The power of training dogs with food and The power of playing tug with your dog, but I’m unsure what other videos in his series would be best to start with.

Can anyone recommend what other videos I should focus on with my new companion? Should I get Raising your puppy, training the retrieve, focused heeling, or maybe the Ed Frawley video The power of training dogs with markers. Is there any certain ones I should focus on?
What are your goals for the dog? Pet, bite sports, personal protection, competition agility or OB...

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Quote:

What are your goals for the dog? Pet, bite sports, personal protection, competition agility or OB...
I’d like to start off trying obedience and agility training then getting into tracking and maybe something fun like dock diving. I don’t know if I’ll ever get into more protection work but who knows maybe I’ll like it and try it.

I think a lot will depend on what the dog likes and excels a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I’d like to start off trying obedience and agility training then getting into tracking and maybe something fun like dock diving. I don’t know if I’ll ever get into more protection work but who knows maybe I’ll like it and try it.

I learned a lot from Michael Ellis videos. That being said, I learned more from reading the 3 volumes of applied dog behavior and training and from working with competent trainers.

Foundation work is really important in competition OB. Fixing incorrect position is much harder than training correct position. Agility is different in that you will be training behaviors that you don't use in normal life.

My suggestion is to educate yourself on how dogs learn and find a club or mentor that trains in the discipline that you want to pursue.

None of Michael's videos will be a waste of money. He's a talented and charismatic trainer. He explains himself well. He shows the difference in poor timing and good timing. He shows what right and wrong look like. I would find every free video available, watch them, and then decide what you need to fill in. I have 4-5 of his videos and don't regret purchasing any of them.

Again, a big shout out to the handbooks of applied dog behavior and training. They are expensive. They are worth it. Once you understand how dogs learn, it's much easier to train them.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I learned a lot from Michael Ellis videos. That being said, I learned more from reading the 3 volumes of applied dog behavior and training and from working with competent trainers.

Foundation work is really important in competition OB. Fixing incorrect position is much harder than training correct position. Agility is different in that you will be training behaviors that you don't use in normal life.

My suggestion is to educate yourself on how dogs learn and find a club or mentor that trains in the discipline that you want to pursue.

None of Michael's videos will be a waste of money. He's a talented and charismatic trainer. He explains himself well. He shows the difference in poor timing and good timing. He shows what right and wrong look like. I would find every free video available, watch them, and then decide what you need to fill in. I have 4-5 of his videos and don't regret purchasing any of them.

Again, a big shout out to the handbooks of applied dog behavior and training. They are expensive. They are worth it. Once you understand how dogs learn, it's much easier to train them.
The books by Steven Lindsay?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

I really liked Raising Your Puppy by Micheal Ellis, Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth, and Stonnie Dennis of YouTube fame.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The books by Steven Lindsay?
Those are the ones.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I really liked Raising Your Puppy by Micheal Ellis, Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth, and Stonnie Dennis of YouTube fame.
Stonnie is such a good resource. I send people that way all the time.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 AM

I also love all the free advise from The Collared Scholar. She has a wealth of information in her blog posts as well as teaching classes online (those you pay for)
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I have been doing a lot of reading, researching and video watching lately but honestly I’m so close to getting a pup that I wish I had started learning a year ahead of time. So since I’m in such a time crunch now what would you all consider the best way for me to start? I’m thinking I could watch a video to start and get a book to read in my spare time. But to get the most information the fastest starting out I think a video would be best. I really want the series of handbooks in applied dog behavior and training but I don’t see how I could read those in time to start working with the pup right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page