No training or wrong training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-21-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

No training or wrong training?

I will be in another state for three days as the maid of honor in my best friend’s wedding this weekend. My puppy, who is 16 weeks old, will be staying with my mother and stepfather while I’m gone. They know nothing about dog behavior or training, so any training they do with him is not natural for them. They rely on me 100% to explain to them how to do something, and they usually forget it quickly after.

My question for you all:
Would it be better that I tell them flat out not to do ANY training with him, including not waiting at doorways, waiting patiently for his food, etc. because they always do it wrong (repeat commands, allow him to break before released, use the wrong words) or have them do these things with him but only 50% successfully?

In general, is the wrong training worse than no training at all? I tend to think so, but is three days really going to break him?

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
I will be in another state for three days as the maid of honor in my best friendís wedding this weekend. My puppy, who is 16 weeks old, will be staying with my mother and stepfather while Iím gone. They know nothing about dog behavior or training, so any training they do with him is not natural for them. They rely on me 100% to explain to them how to do something, and they usually forget it quickly after.

My question for you all:
Would it be better that I tell them flat out not to do ANY training with him, including not waiting at doorways, waiting patiently for his food, etc. because they always do it wrong (repeat commands, allow him to break before released, use the wrong words) or have them do these things with him but only 50% successfully?

In general, is the wrong training worse than no training at all? I tend to think so, but is three days really going to break him?
I would go with no training. It is so easy to teach the wrong things, and sometimes really difficult to undo. That said I doubt 3 days will be a catastrophe either way.
Have fun at the wedding!
dogbyte, Thecowboysgirl and Aly like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Master Member

No training. Trust me on this one! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Knighted Member

I'd vote for no training since it's only three days.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

I would tell them

"Here's the puppy, the crate, the leash, the toys and the food. Feed him at xx and xx. Put him in the crate when you aren't watching him. Take him out to potty at xx, xx and xx. Put this toy in his mouth when he bites you. Have fun. Don't lose him. "

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 03:26 PM

I would say NO training and have them keep him away from any dogs that might give him bad habits. But definitely they should do the basics! But that’s the minimum of like, not letting him go in the house and not jumping on people.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Knighted Member

The thing is with us parents (or friends or siblings etc.) is that, in the end, they're gonna do what they're gonna do no matter what you tell us/them! LOL!

The good news is that even if they do things differently than you would, or are inconsistent, and or even confusing to your pup for only a few days, it will only serve to make him that much more relieved and attentive to you when you return!

So put it completely out of your mind and enjoy the wedding!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would tell them

"Here's the puppy, the crate, the leash, the toys and the food. Feed him at xx and xx. Put him in the crate when you aren't watching him. Take him out to potty at xx, xx and xx. Put this toy in his mouth when he bites you. Have fun. Don't lose him. "
^ My approach.

Also, I'd specify, "Do not let Puppy go near or interact with ANY other dogs".

Blame it on vaccines, make it a hard and scary-sounding rule. Regardless of whether or not it is actually true.

ETA, have a wonderful time at the wedding & congrats to your friend.
CometDog likes this.

Last edited by WIBackpacker; 08-22-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would tell them

^ My approach.

Also, I'd specify, "Do not let Puppy go near or interact with ANY other dogs".

Blame it on vaccines, make it a hard and scary-sounding rule. Regardless of whether or not it is actually true.

ETA, have a wonderful time at the wedding & congrats to your friend. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Lol I love this!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks, everyone! I have told them they are not to walk him or leave the house (beside the backyard, obviously) with him at all. He has some major issues with barking at other dogs and sometimes people (no matter how far away the dog is, if he can see it, he loses his mind) and they have no idea how to appropriately respond to that or prevent him from going way past threshold. No worries about him coming into contact with strange dogs!

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in