8.5 month old GSD excitement - impossible to enjoy outside - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

8.5 month old GSD excitement - impossible to enjoy outside

Hello,

my male GSD puppy Nyx is now 8.5 month old. We have been training and socializing from 2 month and to about 6 month.

He was the perfect and non excited dog up until 6 month. I had him everywhere, the bus, the park, busy city streets. He didnt care for anything. Confident pup.

At 6 month he started to have ears up in alert mode for the first time when he saw dogs. Now this has escalated to humans walking on the street. He's getting so excited/alert.

Before 6 month he never pulled on the leash. Now he can walk until he encounter any stimulus outside and its game over.

In my country prong/ecollar is prohibited so Im limited to lesser tools. I'm currently using a choker that is fit high behind the ears.

He's getting so pumped up that he ignores any correction I make now days. In the beginning I could suppress his reactivity. Maybe for the first month.

Now he's immune outside. I'm very frustrated. From nice walks and exploring everyday to being trapped on his potty street.

He is from working lines by the way.

I'm just hopeless what to do. We can train inside and be successful. But the moment we are exposed to stimuli outside my gate he's walking on his toes in excitement/focused and we take 1 step and he's ahead of me. If we try take 2 steps he's almost at the end of the lead.

What can we do? Are we doomed to training in my room and have reactivity excitement everytime we go for a potty break?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 AM
LRP

Is he fixed?

Sounds to me he is just maturing and he feels like he is in charge so he is pushing his limits. My male is the same age, almost 9 months. Our male is very goofy and friendly but around 6 months he started to get much more protective of our house and our family. My husband had already set himself as the leader so when he is home our male is calm and listens but if that didn't happen I am sure he would be all over the place.

Are there any trainers near you that understand the breed?
Once you get your male under control in your home you should be able to expose him to more of the outside world, but just a little at a time and only when you have him under control.
You need to start from square 1 and establish yourself as the leader!

If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page