12 week old wonít stop peeing in crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

12 week old wonít stop peeing in crate

And itís driving me mad. Ryka came crate trained and never once peed in her crate. Didnít matter if it was way bigger than her, it was her sleeping area so she just never did it.

This puppy, however, is just so frustrating for this. He would be so amazingly perfect if not for this issue. He thinks itís okay to pee in his crate, and weíve been doing everything we can to not let it happen because we donít want him to think it is. He wonít cry to go out, so we take him out multiple times through the night. If he freaks out if you leave heíll pee, so we always make sure to take him out first and cater to him.

But last night just makes me want to turn him into a rug. We had company over, so we crated him. Made sure to take him out periodically. He had a nap, and when we woke from it we got up to go take him out. But before we even got there, he just stood up and starting peeing without crying, whining, anything. Just stood up and peed.

Then just now I had to clean his crate for the millionth time because he peed, didnít whine, nothing. Not until after because he had to poop and was in his pee. I have bathed this dog once a day it feels for about 4 weeks.

The annoying thing is he doesnít potty in the house. He can make it through the night, but chooses not to. Heís learned that itís okay to pee in his crate and I donít know how to stop that anymore. He doesnít have a UTI. His crate is the appropriate size.

The solution I was given was to just keep the crate open and let him go out and pee on a potty pad. But I hate pee pads, and our room is carpet. Iíd rather clean a small crate than a carpeted room. My other alternative is let him sleep on the bed, but Ryka does already and Iím worried sheíll hurt him.

Iím at my wits end with this. Someone tell me it gets better please, lol.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Crowned Member

I call it reverse crate training. Same principle but backwards. Put him in the crate, wait 20 minutes, take him out. High praise for clean crate, no praise for dirty one. Extend the time as you go.
Vet check first to check for any issues.
I know it's frustrating. Nothing worse then crate messes.
tc68, car2ner and Femfa like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:26 AM

I was home all day with both my dogs as pups. I set a timer and took them out if they asked for it or not (with the exception of nap times). I started with every 15 minutes and then 30 then 45 then a hour. Yes it was a bother but it really set the tone that pottying is for outdoors, clean is for indoors. My gal-pup, at one point, peed in her crate so that I would take her outside. So I removed her from the crate but kept her tethered to me in the room. I cleaned the crate and put her right back in. That is when I started the timer routine for her. So like Sabis Mom suggested, a clean crate was rewarded, not the dirty one.
tc68 and Femfa like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Crowned Member

Have you tried feeding him in his crate? How about putting him in there with a long lasting chew treat?

One thing I would do is to give him more outside time. Is your yard fenced? If not, can you tether him? By having him outside longer, not just more often, he would have to do his business outside. This would be creating an alternative behavior to messing in his crate.
LuvShepherds and Femfa like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

So he only does these messes at night or in the morning where itís necessary to crate him. He isnít crated all day, heís tethered to me or in the x-pen, and he has a specific potty area outside. The crate is the size where he can just barely get up and move around.

Heís on a timer already and he can hold it for the entire night but chooses not to so we take him out every 3 hours until 2 AM because he has shown basically every night that he can hold it from then until morning. If he sleeps on my bed, he wonít once get up and ask to go potty and heíll sleep through the night. But Ryka sleeps on our bed, and I donít want to wake up to a dog fight. Last night was the first time he peed in his crate at 5 AM, but it wasnít fun to wake up to. Any time heís shown us he doesnít want to hold it for that long we have reduced our time. But heís prone to at least one crate accident a day during the night or morning, even if weíve just taken him out.

During the day he never pees in the house. Heck, even if weíre in the backyard the potty area is so ingrained heíll run over to it and wait at the gate to get in and pee or poop.

Heís been vet checked and doesnít have a UTI.

He doesnít want to poop in his crate, he doesnít like dirty crates, but he doesnít care about peeing at the time of. Praise means little to him when the crate is clean because he likes his crate already. Itís where he eats, gets bully sticks, Kongs, etc. He runs to it if I have his food ready or any treats. I did lots of crate games in the beginning to make it a good place. He still struggles with separation anxiety, but he loves his crate.

Honestly it just feels like stupid puppy antics, where heís like ďah I gotta peeĒ, then realizes he just peed where he sleeps and then cries about it. Iím doing everything you guys have suggested, but he *still* pees in the crate when heís half asleep or over excited, and it makes me want to just smack my head against the wall.

Itís like karma for having one puppy who was and still is perfect in the crate, lol.
Sabis mom likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:58 PM
Master Member

I'm guessing he gets a verbal correction like a NOOO !!....does he even look like he's aware he screwed up or not ?

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:03 PM

This may be a totally insane idea, but what about putting a diaper on him at night? You could cut a hole for his tail and it would be easy to take it on and off. If he peed on himself, maybe he would figure out he didn't want to do that anymore.

He might need a blow-up collar to keep him from ripping it off, but it might be worth a try. Or, as I said, it's just insane.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Why do you feel that if you let him sleep with you, that there might be a dog fight? Have you considered crating the adult at night for a week or two until you get bladder control?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

I'm just wondering, reading your posts is it possible he is not sleeping soundly in his crate because he's nervous? Nervous would explain a lot, would explain why he clearly can hold it but isn't and would explain why snuggled next to you he no longer needs to pee at night.
I have let lots of puppies sleep with me and have yet to have one pee on the bed, but Sabi and Shadow got into a brawl in the middle of the night. Breaking up a dogfight in the dark with no clothes on and half asleep is not cool, so I get where you are on that.
Pawsed and Femfa like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Master Member

How about restricting water? Take the water away at 8pm. They say it takes 2 hours for a drink of water to go through a puppy's system. So take him out at 10p, and then at 12am. He should be "empty" until the early morning. Also, maybe pick him up and carry him to the outside spot. Don't give him a chance to go. My pup stopped pooping in the house 3 days after I brought him home. Peeing took a lot longer. And I certainly was as frustrated as you are. When he finally stopped peeing in the house, another problem developed...he didn't know how to pee and poop away from "the spot" outside.

I feel for ya having to wash him after every time. I had to do that with my previous dog in his last 2 months of his life when he pooped in his sleep or when he was eating or other times. Trying to wash poop out of his long hair on his tail, around his rear, on his legs, etc. at 3am in freezing temperatures every night wasn't fun. (I also had to clean up vomit every night too.) Anyway, hang in there. We've all felt that level of frustration with one thing or another, so we empathize with ya. It will get better.
Sabis mom and Femfa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page