9 week old Puppy Crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

9 week old Puppy Crate

Hello, I picked up a 9 week old puppy 2 days ago. The puppy seems to hate the crate even if I put some food inside, some toys and slowly ease it into the crate, when I try to close the door it runs out. Also if I'm in the room and the puppy is in the crate, it doesn't whine or bark. But if I'm just running errands around the house and not in the same room as the puppy it whines loudly and barks. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make the puppy at ease when im not directly around it. Do I just ignore the dog while I'm running errands around the house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 PM
LRP

This is all completely normal for crate training. Some dogs take a long time to get used to a crate, even with all the fun stuff inside of it.
He is young, with time he will get used to it. Just keep to the same schedule and be consistent.

Try covering the crate with a sheet or light blanket, the dark may make it more cozy for him. If the dog can see you also it will start the excitement all over again.
Just make sure the dog has gone potty and is safe in the crate, don't leave the puppy in the crate for to long without giving it potty breaks. Otherwise yes, allow him to cry it out till he gets used to it.

If you think dogs canít count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

Yes. With each of my dogs I have now, a rescue puppy and a purebred from a breeder, I left them in the crate and went in and out of the room 100 times. Leave them for a few seconds, and walk back into the room, donít talk or look at the puppy. Leave again and return. I literally spent about an hour each time walking in and out of the room. Being to lengthen the time. After several days the dog was quiet in the crate. Give your puppy some safe toys, a spill proof water dish and your dog will learn to love the crate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page