• 1 Post By Bramble
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom
  • 1 Post By Femfa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Teaching to push into your hand for food

How do you encourage or build this behaviour? Pup is super gentle with food, has good food drive and phenomenal prey drive so far, but seems pretty soft in temperament.

I want him to know its okay to be pushy, but Ive never had a pushy puppy. Any advice is appreciated.

Photos for tax:

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

This link might help......https://www.naturaldogblog.com/blog/...using-pushing/

Some of this might be helpful.....some might be BS.......

With my current GSD....I worked her in the " highly energized state"/drive mode as described ..... as I taught her the "touch".....she had to push to get the reward.....but she's rather "pushy" all on her own versus previous GSDs I've had.

FWIW.....it's a daily part of our routine for the past 7 plus years......

SuperG
Femfa likes this.

Hndin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

That helped a lot, thank you! I couldnt find any decent articles on my own, so I appreciate it. Will start approaching that tomorrow to see how he starts to respond to it.

If anyone has any other little tricks theyre familiar with Id appreciate it. Trying not to mess this one up, lol.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:50 AM
Master Member

Guy is not pushy about food in general. Getting him to follow a lure was a challenge, he simply did not instinctively follow food like my previous pups. He has improved, but I know he will never be super driven about obtaining food like some dogs are.

What I found helped was marking and reinforcing the smallest effort, just him stretching toward my hand, then touching it with his nose, then taking one step, then two, ect... I also gently pushed back toward him with my hand to engage some opposition reflex as he took the food. I worked on just getting him to follow a lure and not teaching any actual skills for a while. I also made sure to use a high value food item and trained when I knew he would be hungry.

The Power of Training Dog's With Food by Micheal Ellis is a good video to watch to learn more about ow to properly use food when training.

Femfa likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Hold the food in such a way that they have to work for it. if the food drive is there, he'll figure it out. So just work on being still, let him work for it and then reward.

When he starts pushing well, then start moving slowly backwards.

You can also sit with him in basic position and get him to push.
Femfa likes this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

Hot Dogs work pretty good for this. You can cut it into a strip thats small enough to hide in your palm with your thumb and let him nibble just enough that he won't stop because he keeps thinking he'll get that little bit more.
Femfa likes this.

Doc

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

Definitely. High value. I've used baked liver, raw meat, pet fresh food. You want the food soft so they don't chew. You could also cut up larger pieces of Red Barn and hold it so they have to nibble on it as you move. That promotes pushing too.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks guys. Hes getting a bit better as he gets more comfortable with me... hes VERY pushy when it comes to play or his meal time, so Im going to take advantage of the meal time I think, and see how pushy he is then. Hes super fun to play with... Ryka used to just attack my hands and feet and never go for the toy, lol. He already likes to play two ball and tugs like a little monster.
Jax08 likes this.

Kona
2017/03/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page