Help! Accidents in Crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Help! Accidents in Crate

Hello Everyone!

I have a 5 month old male GSD. we rescued him when is was 3.5 months. We started with crate training the first night we got him home. a little back story, he was living on a font porch tied up so he really did not have any potty training when we got him. The first few weeks we had him he would not have accidents in his crate, but now.... now he is peeing in his crate almost every night and poops in there during the day. He goes potty right before he goes to bed at night, and first thing in the morning. we have someone who goes over during the day to let him go potty, but it doesn't seem to matter, he is still having accidents.
our schedule for Monday - Friday.

6am- wake up, go outside, water, I get ready (dogs are playing), then we go outside again he gets put in the crate between 7am and 7:15.

1pm- he is let out to potty and play ususally about 30 minutes.

6pm- I get home from work, he goes outside, food and water, goes back outside. then goes outside anytime he needs to during the evening.

Usually goes to bed around 11:30 or 12.

During the weekends, he tends to not have accidents in his crate even though Sunday he was in there from 7am to 4pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Master Member

How large is his crate? What’s the exercise and training portions look like?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:48 PM
LRP

7am - 4pm is too long to keep a puppy in a crate. Right now I have to have my female crated post spay surgery and she is not in there more then 4 hours at a time, even at night. She is 7 months. She can hold her pee longer then that but I don't feel comfortable leaving her in there that long. She is a very active dog so its sucks to have her crated.

Did you clean the crate really well after? Maybe he can just smell his pee still so he goes again.
The crate you have him in should just be big enough for him to stand up, turn around and lay down. It should feel like a cozy den, he doesn't need a lot of room in the crate because the crate should just be a temp holding spot for him. Of he has enough room to find a spot to go # 2, I would try to find a way to section off or replace the crate until he needs the bigger one.

If you think dogs canít count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 PM

Number of months old plus one hour is only 6 hours you can expect him to hold it. Pick up water early in the evening and make sure he does everything before bed and he will probably be OK for the night since they kind of shut down overnight. During the day he can't hold it that long. Maybe get him an pen with pads for during the day if you can't be there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page