Bringing home my next sport dog... any tips and tricks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Bringing home my next sport dog... any tips and tricks?

In October Iíll be bringing home a new sport prospect. Heíll be 4 months old at the time, and is staying with a breeder local to me until the time is right for me to bring him to my place. During those two months between I will still be engaging, training, and handling him.

Ryka is my Queen of Sheba... she loves her comforts, cuddling with me, and is currently snuggled up beside me on the couch as I sip my coffee and type this up. I donít want to disrupt her life more than necessary, but I want to ensure that my next dog understands how to integrate into our home properly.

My idea is to have an X-pen on our main living floor where the puppy primarily hangs out when not out with me or in the crate. When heís out, Ryka will be put away to encourage focus and engagement on me. Walks will be separate until the pup understands walking etiquette and then I will walk them both together. I donít mind them just being dogs out in the backyard and the like, but Iíll wait until heís big enough to properly romp around with her.

When I was raising Ryka it was very open and free and fun. She and I just had lots of fun all day together. I know that I canít really do that the same way, but I also donít want Ryka or the pup to be crated all day until theyíre ready to integrate together in the house without an x-pen keeping them separate. So if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or personal experiences I could pull from Iíd appreciate it.
Jax08 likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Just bumping my own thread to see if there's any magical words of wisdom floating around.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

One thing to keep in mind is to be careful not to create any competition or jealousy over anything. I generally start off not changing the older dogs routine at all, and then go to a new routine with them both.
Femfa likes this.

Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
One thing to keep in mind is to be careful not to create any competition or jealousy over anything. I generally start off not changing the older dogs routine at all, and then go to a new routine with them both.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the response. And thatís a really good point. I was just thinking about that. Ryka is possessive around other dogs but not people, so that is a genuine concern of mine.

Kona
2017/03/19

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

I think you have it pretty well covered
Femfa likes this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I think you have it pretty well covered
I appreciate your faith in me I just like to hoard information. There's a lot I don't want to mess up on but know I will, regardless of how much I learn prior.

Just really excited at the idea of having a nice sport dog. I love Ryka, but I was conservative in my ask for her. Wasn't sure if I wanted a sport dog or not. Now I know I do, so I want to avoid diving head first into the rocks if I can help it... though that might knock some more sense into me since all us dog sport people are nuts anyways.
Cassidy's Mom and Jax08 like this.

Kona
2017/03/19

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post

I don’t want to disrupt her life more than necessary
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
She's my momma's girl. No matter what she does she will always stay with me... the other dog, if it doesn't turn out, goes right back to the breeder. That includes a calm and manageable living arrangement with Sheba herself.

Kona
2017/03/19

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

A lot of it, you just have to wait and see when you bring him home. When I brought Doc home, that was 3 males and there was no problem. I kept them mostly separated because of the size difference between them, but even when I first brought him in there was no tension or over the top excitement. Never anything that looked like it could be a conflict between them. Every male dog we've owned has been very accepting of females, especially older females being a little bossy. Even strange females. An overly submissive female, they can get a little pushy with the sniffing and things, but I think you'll probably find them getting along pretty easily.
Cassidy's Mom and Femfa like this.

Doc

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
She's my momma's girl. No matter what she does she will always stay with me... the other dog, if it doesn't turn out, goes right back to the breeder. That includes a calm and manageable living arrangement with Sheba herself.

You got a male, right? So Jax was dog aggressive. I was really worried when I brought Seger home. At first she ignored him, avoided him. Eventually, she started to accept him. Seger taught her how to play again. I literally sat down and cried watching them. He taught her how to be a dog again. She instigated everything after that to get him to play with her.

Now, he was not so accepting of Faren. She's a lot. After keeping them apart for weeks, trying to introduce them while he growled and snapped at her, I finally just released the hounds. She bit his face, he introduced her to Jesus, she ran into the laundry room and he followed to lick her head. I'm not saying it's peaceful. She beats him up constantly. But she will respect him if he lights up on her to correct her.

Just watch how they interact and make decisions from there. Sometimes "peace" has its rocky moments.
Femfa likes this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page