Dog & cat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Dog & cat?

Hey all,

So I’ve had a cat for about 3 years and just recently got my puppy almost 2 weeks ago when she was 13ish weeks old. The breeder told me she had a couple of cats so she was okay with cats. Currently my puppy and cat play and i think my pup plays a little to rough with that cat, she will put her mouth on the back of his neck but doesnt look like she puts any pressure and she hasnt drawn any blood or had my cat hiss at her, she tends to chase the cat everytime the cats walks by (im trying to correct that by having her ignore him and rewarding with high value treats) when they do play the cat pretty much wins everytime and sometimes the cat will bite to a point where my puppy will cry but still go at.

My question is does anyone have any tips or tricks to get them to i guess be a little more calm and not play so rough with each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:33 PM

It sounds like your cat is extremely confident and fully capable of communicating when she's had enough. I think your job is to teach the puppy that the cat is saying "No, I've had enough, stop." So, when the cat bites the dog and the dog cries (yes, I would allow this as you must give your cat the ability to say "no"), you redirect your puppy so she plays with you instead. Slowly, you'll be teaching the puppy that when the cat is tired of playing, she's supposed to play with you. You can then mold that into another behavior beyond playing. But at this age, I'd just redirect.

Same if the cat hisses at her, growls, or swats. Redirect the puppy.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:49 PM

I think it's good that you're teaching the puppy not to chase. For me I have a 100% no chasing cats ever rule. So I'd make sure to focus on that and let puppy know it's not okay. As far as playing too rough goes while it's good that the cat is top dog you don't want either of them hurt especially as the puppy gets older and bigger so I'd remove him whoever it starts getting to rough. Mark it with a corrective sound such as ah-ah and distract him for a bit so they calm down. While cats and dogs can be amazing friends and really play, the chance of accidental injury in my opinion is high enough to not allow any rough playing.

For example my cat didn't care he was laying on the floor letting my puppy drag him down the hallway by his tail. But that isn't behavior I want to see in the future so even though he didn't mind I stopped it. Basically you'll have to be the fun police and stop it when it gets too rough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

If your cat is biting the puppy hard enough to make your puppy cry, rest assured that your cat is only retaliating because your puppy hurt him. Don't let your puppy chase your cat and stop him from roughhousing. Play can escalate and when your puppy is bigger, it can turn out very badly for the cat. I know of a dog that playfully grabbed a kitten by the head and popped both of his eyes out. The kitten will be blind for life. I also know of an Aussie pup who will go through life with one eye because of rough play with the family cat. They are animals. You need to set the rules for appropriate play.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Also, keep in mind that cat bites are nasty things. A cat bit my GSD, and she got a pretty bad infection around the bite, and had to have drains placed to release the pressure and allow the infection to drain. The vet told me cat bites are the most common bites they see, and all have had to be medicated with antibiotics to prevent further infections.

Just another good reason to stop the puppy/cat play. They can live in harmony without ever having to interact with each other.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 PM

I wouldn't let them "play" together at all frankly. A GSD could easily hurt a cat simply due to their size. I have 3 cats and 3 GSDs and they have never played together. My job has been to teach the GSDs to leave the cats alone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 11:46 AM

😞 I have a GSD and she loved playing with my cats too. The cats were fine with it too. And it sucks but you have to train them to stay away from each other. The size difference is just too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page