Somebody talk me off the ledge! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Somebody talk me off the ledge!

Ok its not that bad but MAN when Marco gets out of control he goes on these biting and lunging sprees. I've tried shoving a finger under his tongue, grab his collar with a gentle shake... but all this stuff I'm reading says to not pay attention when they get like this -- giving him attention makes him more crazy. Which I can agree with. But its awfully hard to ignore a little land shark when he's trying to expose the bones in your ankle all in good fun

Distraction with obedience works about 90% of the time - the other 10% I want to send him to boarding school lol.

I honestly don't remember Sasha or Wolfgang acting this crazy - that said they were both total disasters on leash - this guy walks amazingly well on leash at 3 months old.

Thoughts?

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post
Ok its not that bad but MAN when Marco gets out of control he goes on these biting and lunging sprees. I've tried shoving a finger under his tongue, grab his collar with a gentle shake... but all this stuff I'm reading says to not pay attention when they get like this -- giving him attention makes him more crazy. Which I can agree with. But its awfully hard to ignore a little land shark when he's trying to expose the bones in your ankle all in good fun

Distraction with obedience works about 90% of the time - the other 10% I want to send him to boarding school lol.

I honestly don't remember Sasha or Wolfgang acting this crazy - that said they were both total disasters on leash - this guy walks amazingly well on leash at 3 months old.

Thoughts?
Jeans and boots!

This to shall pass, have no fear. Ignoring will work it just takes time.
Clare likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried shoving a toy in his mouth and playing tug?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Have you tried shoving a toy in his mouth and playing tug?
yes and yes....

Hence my 90% success rate

He's just super persistent. Funny, remember Sasha and Wolfgang being perfect puppies - amazing what time does to our memories.

I think I'm going with the Jeans method! I'm in Florida but I'm inside - there is AC!
tc68 and Sabis mom like this.

Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

I had a foster pup that I wore gloves around for the longest time,
Just an absolute hellion!
Shadow was definitely a jeans kind of girl, drove my teenage step daughter mental-mostly because she wouldn't stop shrieking and running so Shadow thought it was a game. She was tiny but mighty and would latch onto anything that crossed her line of sight. I'm not much into correcting puppies so I just resort to armor.
tc68 and Sunflowers like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

Hans was a fuzzygator with razor wire. When I took him out of his crate after his naps, I had exactly four seconds to pet him before he turned into a tooth machine. The worst was at night, when I was tired but he would get a wound up after pooping, and would repeatedly launch himself and bite my butt cheeks. Even wearing jeans, it hurt like heck.
All this abruptly stopped around 6 months. Still occasionally gatored, but not every minute.
At 3, he turned into the biggest love bug you could imagine, so gentle, so sweet, he could be petted all day and all he does is gently swish his tail. Hang in there. I did try everything recommended here, but only time stopped it.
Sabis mom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Wear him out. Let him exercise himself. Let him run around and sniff. Find games he likes to play. Keep him busy and he will sleep a lot.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Wear him out. .
But keep the temperature in mind to prevent overheating. Sometimes they just need to be crated when they go overboard. Or in the morning when he is all rested , give him things to do and no access to your hands.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:48 AM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't "shove" anything in the dog's mouth. I would make it so the dog would want whatever it was because it was so interesting And when you play tug, remember the dog wins 98% of the time. Crate games are also a great invention - a flirt pole will work -- and yes, ignore him will make your body parts and worn wardrobe much less interesting. (and yes, crate games = build up to "put the dog away")
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Shove is extreme. I keep a rope toy nearby as well as a hard plastic teething toy and offer that instead. I need to work on crate games and keep him busy - inside. Its pretty **** hot here already during the day. Our walks are limited to early AM and late evenings. But he's super smart and probably could be easily worn out with intellectual games (or he can help me with my job - thats enough to wear anyone out!!!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page