Somebody talk me off the ledge! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

You want to make toys fun! I know sledding is out in Florida but I would have myself or kids pull toy on a rope and run it helped him with wanting to target the toy and not the people for when it became teething time, he easily was directed to toys by just have pure fun.

You do forget. When Max was a pup it did make me think of what eaten Alive must feel like on a small scale as my bones felt like they got crunched so it had to be that bad. Lol! Everyone in the house got annoyed. It was a big difference as our last dog was a King Charles and the dog we had that was a trained adult gsd so some family members were a bit in shock and myself learning and defending. Any kind of contact made it worse and that included loosing patience. Crates were the families best friend. All outings had to be structured and often on a long lead rope and either training , playing with toys, grooming , potty , feeding then crate. No chasing of kids allowed which disappointed them greatly. Hide n seek games, Agility equipment was purchased for their interaction. Any down time just resulted in so much redirecting. It fades away so gradually by then you won’t even realize. It does stop and it will be forgotten lol!

Clare likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
But keep the temperature in mind to prevent overheating. Sometimes they just need to be crated when they go overboard. Or in the morning when he is all rested , give him things to do and no access to your hands.
Yes. I didn’t think about it being hot. We haven’t gotten into our full summer heat yet.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

Yes not full summer heat yet here either but beautiful weather. Hot enough though to get those tongues totally drooping if active though. Baby pools are great way to entertain in the heat. Fill a baby pool up with toys and water. They will most likely to jump in if you are in it or if it is hot enough.
wolfy dog likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We have a pool pool! And he's very curious about it but still leary of walking on to the step - so I have a baby pool for him to start with... We all have to start somewhere!

He's really learning the crate is his safe place too so that will help!

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:43 PM

I've seen news articles lately about the danger of the rope toys! Re games to play, mine plays hide and seek, both human and toy. He's also learned the name of all the different toys, eg. "get your BALL, no that's your Kong." "Find piggy" etc. etc. I'll also hide treats and tell him to "find it". Right now, he's learning that old 3 cups trick where you show them something, hide it under a cup or bowl, and switch them around then let him find the right one with the surpise hidden underneath. Just a few games that increases their brain power, and keeps them occupied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page