Using the cat to train? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CometDog
  • 1 Post By Kaylee Kapital

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Using the cat to train?

Hey everyone! I wanted to ask about my 14 week puppy Echo and the our 9 month old cat. Echo loves to play with her and the cat does too but I'm worried about her biting down too hard on the cat. The cat is usually covered in drool. Our cat loves to play with her and they never stop which ends up with me putting the cat in the bedroom for a while to gain some peace. I was wondering what commands I can teach her while they are playing. I was thinking "gentle" and to somehow break her focus on the cat and towards me instead for a few seconds. Any tips would be really appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

I would not allow rough housing between a GSD and a cat. The puppy will only get bigger and these things can escalate. I mean it sounds like your dog has good bite inhibition and it sounds like your cat is a willing participant, but that could change rapidly and it might be when your puppy weighs 80lbs.

Plus with a young pup, you want to be his main source of fun and interaction. When pups play too much with another fun dog in the house before handler focus and engagement is established they can become "doggy". You are risking your dog become "catty" lol sorry have to chuckle at that.

To be honest I do not allow much rough housing period between animals/kids etc. I let them play a little, but I teach them strong "place" commands. When i clap my hands and say "enough, go to your place" they have to. Or crate. It's at the point now where if I clap and tell them to settle they cut it out, because they know a place or crate will come next otherwise. Of course the kids go to a time out spot not a crate lol Anyway...yeah I would start teaching a place command. Gradually build up time he will stay on his mat. Reward him for just sitting there saying "good place". They get it.
wolfy dog likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Great thank you. I wasn't sure what to do about it. I will work on the place command next!
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Elite Member

Your pup is gorgeous by the way

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! I'm interested to see how she will look. Her mother was all black and father a "calico" (like the cat) I'm not sure what that would be called.
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

Her mother is probably a sable

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I would not allow rough housing between a GSD and a cat. The puppy will only get bigger and these things can escalate. I mean it sounds like your dog has good bite inhibition and it sounds like your cat is a willing participant, but that could change rapidly and it might be when your puppy weighs 80lbs.

Plus with a young pup, you want to be his main source of fun and interaction. When pups play too much with another fun dog in the house before handler focus and engagement is established they can become "doggy". You are risking your dog become "catty" lol sorry have to chuckle at that.

To be honest I do not allow much rough housing period between animals/kids etc. I let them play a little, but I teach them strong "place" commands. When i clap my hands and say "enough, go to your place" they have to. Or crate. It's at the point now where if I clap and tell them to settle they cut it out, because they know a place or crate will come next otherwise. Of course the kids go to a time out spot not a crate lol Anyway...yeah I would start teaching a place command. Gradually build up time he will stay on his mat. Reward him for just sitting there saying "good place". They get it.
In addition: also put the cat away. I know how they are prone to tease a crated dog by sitting in front of the crate or on top, pawing through the crate etc etc. During my private training visits with clients every cat in every household would interfere with the training, even the neighbor cats during walking exercises. There were no exceptions.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:18 PM

Our previous shepherd looked very much like him when he was a pup and the breeder called him a silver sable. This is what he ended up looking like as an adult (happily ensconced on our bed).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	520565  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page