Day training at Obedience Class - need thoughts - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Day training at Obedience Class - need thoughts

So this is a bit of a weird question but I need some thoughts on an obedience class I just signed up for.

I have a 6 month old adopted GSD puppy. I have had him for 6 weeks. He is lovely, sweet, cheeky, adorable and seems to be getting very attached to me which is great.

He is a companion dog but I want to train him as high as we can go in obedience and would love to do agility or something similar for fun. I basically just want to do activities with him.

I start an obedience group class in 3 weeks and I just found out they offer something called "Day Training." While I will be attending actual classes once a week for an hour in a group class, they say that everyone in this program should have their dog also attend a day boarding twice a week where a trainer will build a relationship with the dog and do multiple training sessions through out the day to reinforce what is being taught in the current class. They will also do careful dog socialization and find a buddy to let them play if they get on well. I would drop him off 8-10am and pick up at 6.

Now, I do currently take him to Doggie Daycare as I just cannot get back home to let him out mid day twice a week. My hesitation with this day training is that I have this weird "I want to be the only person to train my dog" vibe that is surprising me. I know I have some issues, I get super emotional about my dog needing to be bonded to me and I guess my fear is that he will bond with this trainer and I also want to be the one to train him, not someone else. Am I being weird?

I get if I was doing hardcore dog sports I would want to be the only trainer, but am I being too fussy about a companion dog? I know it will be a ton of work, but I would rather be the one to do it with him. I don't want to miss that Besides, I can already tell how in tune he is getting with me and my body language (I have trained him a lot already at home, just basics with ball and treats) and I have unintentionally added in subtleties to each of my commands through body langue that I was unaware of. I'm not sure I want to ruin that? The reason for the group class is I need more structure/ homework in my training and I am unsure about taking this all outside the home. We both need exposure. But do I pass up the opportunity to have an amazing dog that I can take out with confidence? (That is my goal)

So long story short. Will this day training weaken the bond between my puppy and I? We are just getting started and it is SO important to me. Do I let them take my puppy twice a week for a few hours while I work, he gets mental stimulation, play, training reinforced and gets good exposure to things (he has started getting a bit skittish outside and it worries me!) All this sounds amazing, especially when I have such guilt leaving him home for 8 hours a day, but I have this nagging, possessiveness or something about my dog that doesn't want me to let anyone else train him.... Am I being silly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM

No you're not being silly.Do what you are comfortable with.If you find you need help with a particular problem a trainer that will do private lessons is best.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

Why? Why would the TRAINER need to build a relationship with your dog? What great advertising for doggie day care.

Will it weaken your bond? That's up to you and how you build that bond. It should not harm your bond if you are still training your dog. Is it beneficial to you, your dog and your checkbook to have the trainer build a bond with your dog? Not in my opinion. I think they just have some really good marketing going on. So your dog trains all day with someone else that will not be an integral part of his life and then he's to tired to train with you at night. No thanks.

Go to your group class. Take your lesson. Practice throughout the week. If you feel that you aren't learning, then find a trainer to help do one on one sessions.
dogma13, Femfa and CometDog like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Elite Member

I would pass on it. It sounds like you and your pup are doing great and the daycare you already are using is working for you so why stir up your pups daily routine and training with you. One that he is comfortable with especially if you have added your own nuances to your commands. Don't fix what isn't broken :-). I think you've got a good gut sense.
dogma13 likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 04-24-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am just going to do the classes and tell them sorry but I want to be the only person to train my dog. If I do't like the classes or whatever I will find a different school. There seem to be some other options. I am WAY too fussy/possessive of my dog I guess lol...Thanks!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Why? Why would the TRAINER need to build a relationship with your dog? What great advertising for doggie day care.

Will it weaken your bond? That's up to you and how you build that bond. It should not harm your bond if you are still training your dog. Is it beneficial to you, your dog and your checkbook to have the trainer build a bond with your dog? Not in my opinion. I think they just have some really good marketing going on. So your dog trains all day with someone else that will not be an integral part of his life and then he's to tired to train with you at night. No thanks.

Go to your group class. Take your lesson. Practice throughout the week. If you feel that you aren't learning, then find a trainer to help do one on one sessions.
I also thought it a bit weird that they would build trainer/ puppy relationship. I think it is for boarding and other courses later (they do a 3 week off leash course boarding program too..ah yea, no thanks, please show ME how to do it?!)

And I just wanted to clarify that the day boarding is no extra cost to the classes, which already were **** expensive, but that might be why? what a waste...
Jax08 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Elite Member

The only time I had someone train my dog FOR me during the day is when I left him for boarding at my club, because I had to..was going away for a week, no dogs allowed. I had them track him for me becuase it is the one thing that is time consuming and problematic for me to fit in to my schedule.

Go with your gut. I would be with you on that one..I want to train my own dog. I like group classes (as long as they arent modern positive only free play encouraged type thing) and I have used trainers to guide ME before on how to train..but I train my dog. Das Ende.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
The only time I had someone train my dog FOR me during the day is when I left him for boarding at my club, because I had to..was going away for a week, no dogs allowed. I had them track him for me becuase it is the one thing that is time consuming and problematic for me to fit in to my schedule.

Go with your gut. I would be with you on that one..I want to train my own dog. I like group classes (as long as they arent modern positive only free play encouraged type thing) and I have used trainers to guide ME before on how to train..but I train my dog. Das Ende.
Do you know you lost your HOT designation because someone else tracked him?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Do you know you lost your HOT designation because someone else tracked him?
No, didn't know that. I will keep it in mind for next guy. HOT would be nice, but I wasnt "hot" for Valor to get his HOT. Thanks for the heads up. So nobody else can do any of the activities in the 3 phases? If you taught them and someone was just running them through for you to help out? For instance, my kids had the flu and my friend took Valor to club for me to air him out and give him a nice day (3 kids with the flu equaled 6 weeks of tending to sick kids between two households. So fun) If you could direct me to the parameters on that it would be great.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
No, didn't know that. I will keep it in mind for next guy. HOT would be nice, but I wasnt "hot" for Valor to get his HOT. Thanks for the heads up. So nobody else can do any of the activities in the 3 phases? If you taught them and someone was just running them through for you to help out? For instance, my kids had the flu and my friend took Valor to club for me to air him out and give him a nice day (3 kids with the flu equaled 6 weeks of tending to sick kids between two households. So fun) If you could direct me to the parameters on that it would be great.
You have to be present. At least for USCA. Read the rules of your club.
CometDog likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page