Day training at Obedience Class - need thoughts - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 AM
Elite Member

Pretty much "need to be present" across the board. From what I have read today.

TBH Valor's designation of self pride on my part would be a "DILO" trophy. Dog I Learned On lol I needed and gladly accepted a lot of help with sports training with Valor. I'll do this puppy HOT if I can, and will be able to thanks to the people that put their hands on for me and gave my dog some tracking practice while I was in Maine, and took my pent up dog to club when my kids had the flu.

It's not a topic for this thread..but in general I have no problem with trusted friends that your dog is comfortable with giving him some leg work when life bowls you over. At the end of the day in the absence of hanging out a "dog trainer shingle" you don't need a HOT ( an OP probably has no idea what HOT means- it means Handler Owned And Trained) The relief of the dog support village (in my particular set of circumstance) matters more to me. Know what I mean? I was willing to take a friend's dog on the AD, because of bum knees he can't peddle a bike.

There is a difference between someone else teaching your dog and handing him back (which is the original topic of this thread) than there is with letting a trusted friend give your dog some action when he needs it and you can't give it that month. But I digress, in general I like to be the one to teach and handle my own dog

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:27 AM
Crowned Member

I've seen it often where someone is laid up, out of town, otherwise unable to work their dog. Other club members will work the dog in any of the phases from tracking to protection. Sometimes the person is there, sometimes they are not. It's not so much "training" as "working" - something to give the dog a break. Never seen anything prohibiting this in IPO.

But back to the original issue - I'd pass on the day training. I'd also stop the dog-walker. By this age, a dog likely doesn't need to go out mid day.
CometDog likes this.

Last edited by middleofnowhere; 04-26-2019 at 01:30 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I've seen it often where someone is laid up, out of town, otherwise unable to work their dog. Other club members will work the dog in any of the phases from tracking to protection. Sometimes the person is there, sometimes they are not. It's not so much "training" as "working" - something to give the dog a break. Never seen anything prohibiting this in IPO.
For the HOT title, it is required you are at least present from what I read today as a result of this thread. I'm a stickler about earning stuff properly. Is it "needed"?? no. But people who have stuff happen or have to for some reason let others take the reigns..it's fine. They merely didn't "earn" that. I'm cool with it. If the letters appear after my dog's name, I want to have it correct. It's not a mark against you if you can't all the way swing it and I can sleep at night with that, I don't want to diminish the title that belongs to people who could do it though. I'm a purist lol. And while the convo doesn't exactly belong on this thread, I welcome the discussion and education

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 AM
Elite Member

In other words, if there is a stringent regime involved with earning something, I feel better at accepting I couldn't do it this time, rather than having an easier way than others who made every training rain shine or death in the family. Awards are just that- awards. To the OP as you can see, yes there is pride and self gratification involved with steering and bonding with your own dog wholly

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page