Crate training and crying at night - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Crate training and crying at night

Hey everyone! My puppy is 10 weeks old and female. she is scared of walking off the property and car rides but has been enjoying puppy classes and socialization. Overall she is great, potty trained after a week and a half and can do "Look" and "sit" commands. I originally kept her in a crate by our bed, but my husband gets bad allergies and we brought her crate into the living room during the day to watch her there. Now it is going to be night 3 of her sleeping in the crate in the living room as we are no longer moving it into the bedroom at night. I realize she is upset from being separated from us, but she cries and cries. What do you recommend the best solution is?? Do you think she will gain more confidence over time and to keep up the good fight? My husband will periodically have enough of it and storm in with a growly "NOOOOOO" and she stops for about 45 seconds

Also, what other things should I be focusing on her training? Right now I force her, like literally drag her half the way to our communal mailbox and once I check the mail she wants to RUN back home after but I stop periodically so she knows I'm in charge of who is leading the expedition but she still pulls the entire way back (2 scary blocks).

Thank you very much!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Cute baby! There is a lot of information about potty training, crate training, and timelines for puppies if you use the search bar! I've scoured the posts for my first puppy and there is so much helpful information accumulated on these boards.

First and foremost since the allergies prevent the puppy from being crated nearby, the most recommended method I've seen for the crying at night IS TO IGNORE IT! I know, it's exhausting to hear all night long, but she will settle down. Sometimes it takes a week, sometimes a few. Luna took a few weeks before she quit altogether. You really don't want to associate the crate to a bad scary place by having your husband intimidating her like that (which can be VERY scary to be intimidated by their humans for a 10 week old!), so I'd ask him to bear with it and if it's too much, perhaps look into ear plugs for the week or so it could take

Be sure to start associating the crate positively away from just being jailed for the night Be sure to play games in the crate, leave treats throughout the day, use treats to lure your pup inside and also treat with the door closed! You want to teach her that the crate is a good place, a safe place for her.

Our game involves high value treats, something the pup LOVES but ONLY gets associated with the crate. We lead them in, praise! Give the treat. Over time, we then show the treat and throw it in the crate, close enough to the door it can be smelled but far enough so the pup goes inside to get it. Close the door, wait a minute or two, then let them out. It teaches them that it's not a "jail" and good things happen in the crate with and without the door open! Feeding in the crate helps associate a personal place as well.

You could try leaving on soft music at night for her, or look into the "heartbeat" cuddle buddy toys to try to keep her calm while in the crate. Just be sure not to take her out while she's crying, it teaches them crying = get what I want!

As for training, I wouldn't force her into anything that's obviously making her uncomfortable and afraid. Slowly introducing her to new situations to build her confidence is much better than just throwing her in to swim, so to speak. Too much stimulation for my puppy (Luna) was a bad thing since she was a skittish/nervous puppy. So go at it based on your sense of how she's doing or what she can handle. Learning to walk on a lead, do walks, or venturing far from home takes much more time (months even) to train and build their confidence and build your bond together. The "stop and become a tree" method is good at helping redirect them from over taking you on the leash, but be sure to reward or praise graciously when they do come back to you since that's the point! You want to show her YES! this is what you're supposed to do! good girl!! Learning to walk with the leash/offleash in the yard and short distances helps a lot too by doing those exercises with treats and praise and short distances.

At the end of the day, she's only 10 weeks old! She's still SUCH a baby and just left her litter not long ago. Take it slow, training doesn't need to happen immediately. It's great to create a bond with her with fun training as a puppy, but you really want to focus on positive play/train and bonding together. Again congratulations on your new puppy!

All the information from me is just what I've gathered from my research in the forum first with Luna and now with our 2nd pup. Others will have much more experienced advice/experiences of course. Best of luck!

Luna, Born 5/6/2017
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

What a cutie!
Please stop forcing her to do things that scare her. It will only make her more afraid and teach her that she cannot trust you. If you must take her to the mailbox then perhaps you could carry her, that way she knows you are protecting her and she will probably relax and look around. Better would be to let her sit in a quiet place with you and watch the world go by. Maybe from your front yard? As she relaxes you can expand her world, but right now her expression says she is a sweet, shy girl who is worried. You need to let her know that you respect that and will protect her. As her bond with you deepens her trust in you will grow and her world can get bigger. For now, don't force the world or strangers on her.
As far as the crate, puppies cry because they feel abandoned and lost. Since you don't want her in the bedroom maybe try a baby monitor with the listening end near her so she does not feel alone and a piece of your worn clothing so she has your scent near.
I wouldn't worry much about training just play and encourage her to explore a bit.
huntergreen, Mudypoz and gsdoglife like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

I have a preliminary question before really kind of digesting anything else. How are you going to manage your husband's allergies for the future? Keeping a pup out of the bedroom is one thing...but GSDs really tend to make their essence known in a house they live in overall..once grown and true shed kicks in. Like, I have a friend who is allergic and she can't come over even though I vacuum each day and have air filters etc. How bad are his allergies to a dog? They really ramp up the shedding and dander with age...

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 PM

No kidding the shedding has not even gotten started...better invest in allegra and a good allergist
gsdoglife likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM

She's adorable! I wouldn't throw too much at her at once. She's a baby and you have lots of time to train her. Don't force things. Also, you must ignore cries in the night, other than a potty break when she's not crying. Set your alarm for half way through the night and get up and take her out.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I have a preliminary question before really kind of digesting anything else. How are you going to manage your husband's allergies for the future? Keeping a pup out of the bedroom is one thing...but GSDs really tend to make their essence known in a house they live in overall..once grown and true shed kicks in. Like, I have a friend who is allergic and she can't come over even though I vacuum each day and have air filters etc. How bad are his allergies to a dog? They really ramp up the shedding and dander with age...
He has had dogs growing up and we have cats as well, he takes medication and starts getting used to new fur types after a while. He's already 100x better.
CometDog likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
What a cutie!
Please stop forcing her to do things that scare her. It will only make her more afraid and teach her that she cannot trust you. If you must take her to the mailbox then perhaps you could carry her, that way she knows you are protecting her and she will probably relax and look around..
Will do! I've tried carrying her and when she doesn't know the way home she's much better. Do you think it's guarding behavior? I will try to relax on the outings, when should I expect to be able to walk her?

Thanks for all the help, she now sleeps soundly in the crate
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 PM

I had a very leash reactive and scared female puppy as well. She’s was terrified of everything! She never wanted to walk on leash and would just lay there or not move. And when she did walk she was scared of everything. Cars, people, anything that passed her on our walks. I started luring and rewarding her and turning a walk into mini training sessions.

I would throw treats in front of her on her walk (she’s highly food motivated) and she would follow them and I would use a clicker whenever she walked to get the food.

Once she was okay walking in front our building I built that into a walk around the block.

When it came to her being scared of things passing her, I would just make sure I was aware of cars and people passing. Whenever they did I put her in a sit position and fed her a treat and use a clicker.

This did take a lot of time and maybe over like the next few months I just gradually would take the treats away and then the clicker.

Now she’s walks better on her Leash then her brother! She ignores everything that passes by her and has very little reactivity to it (she will turn her head to look at people but she never pulls in their direction or tries to hide behind me like she used too). She usually will look at the car or person, look at me and then just keep on walking.

She’s a year old now and it took maybe like 3 months or so of constant training around 2-3 times a day for about 10-15 minutes each time.

She’s a dream. She’s still kinda scared of stuff when in public (pet store, vet) but instead of trying to hide or run away, she looks at me and I tell her good girl and she just presses through and ignores the things around her.
GSDchoice likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee Kapital View Post
Will do! I've tried carrying her and when she doesn't know the way home she's much better. Do you think it's guarding behavior? I will try to relax on the outings, when should I expect to be able to walk her?

Thanks for all the help, she now sleeps soundly in the crate
As she grows and builds a relationship with you she will gain confidence. Some pups are just naturally more reserved and cautious. Instead of forcing her to follow let her explore and follow her. Coax her along if she stalls.
The problem with forcing them into things is that they build it into a big thing and it just gets harder to get them past it.
GSDchoice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page