When to begin potty training? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

I head North in 8 days and my internet access may get sporadic but you seem to have a good grip on this and if you want any help just ask.
It seems that many members on the forum are happy to help, just fed up with those who will not help themselves.
Pippy01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Enjoy the trip! And thank you. I definitely will post when I have more questions, because I know I will eventually! lol. Certainly willing to go as far as I can possibly go to train this puppy right. I appreciate all the help, very much.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I don't mind sleeping with puppies but I have also done the crate by my bed. Puppy crate should be just big enough for the puppy to sleep in comfortably. A soft stuffy to snuggle with is a good idea unless you have a chewer.
I don't generally muck around about crating, it's just business. Puppy goes in and I walk away. I have had a couple that were in danger of hurting themselves, they slept with me while I worked on positive association with the crate.
The following is just a copy/paste from Shadows FB but I will add that I generally put puppies to bed around 11, get up at 3 or 4 for a pee break for the first few days then back to bed until 7ish. I restrict movement by baby gates, some prefer tethering. The short version is that I take the puppies out often enough and watch them closely enough that no accidents happen.
If your puppy messes in the house, you made a mistake.
Puppies do not get left unattended, loose in a house. Crate or eyes on at all times. It shouldn't take weeks to house train a puppy, and you are stressing yourself out allowing it to.
Food and water are restricted at night, morning comes you take the puppy out of it's crate and carry it outside. In your pj's and slippers. Once puppy has relieved itself you praise, praise, praise. Best puppy ever! Then inside, food and water, and coffee. Then back outside. Puppy pees and poops and you praise, praise, praise. Then inside, play for 10 minutes, back outside. This is not rocket science. Eyes on the puppy at all times or it is in it's crate. Don't let it have an accident in the house and pretty soon it will know to go outside.
I do not understand the bell thing? Why complicate the issue.

I also train my dogs for one spot in the yard only. I do this by taking them only to that spot and promptly cleaning up any other areas if an accident occurs.

Keep me posted. I like puppies.
I like the "one spot in the yard only" method however there was a problem with that. For the longest time, mine didn't know how to go anywhere else. It was a pain when we were in beginner's obedience classes and he wouldn't go during our class breaks. He would hold it until I got home and then he'd go. I was all stressed that he'd go in the car. He didn't know how to poop in other places either. Doesn't matter where we walked and how far, he'd hold it until we got back to "his spot" in our front yard. So when he finally started doing his business away from that spot, I was overjoyed. It took a long time though...months.

I'm an extreme case...I slept with my pup on the kitchen floor every night for the 1st four months I had him. I used my previous dog's 2 beds and put them back to back to make a mattress for me. (It's surprisingly comfortable.) I placed these beds right in front of the crate and he had the choice of sleeping in the crate or outside. He chose to sleep half the time in the crate and half the time on the "bed" with me. Why, you ask would I subject myself to this? Because my bedroom is the furthest room from the front door. By the time I walk down the hall, the stairs, down another hall, put on a coat and shoes, he would've peed/pooped already. So I decided to sleep in the kitchen with him...it is close to the front door. Plus, the bedroom has carpet and the kitchen has tiles. It's much easier to clean up tile than carpet. I actually had "practice" doing this 1.5 years ago when I found out my previous dog was dying from cancer. I'd sleep (didn't sleep much, maybe 3 hours a night) with him on the floor. He couldn't walk the stairs anymore and he couldn't control his bowels. So I "slept" with him on the kitchen/family room with him. Didn't sleep much then...there was a lot of cleaning up vomit/poop and crying on my part. Anyway, I wouldn't sleep on the kitchen floor again though. I'm getting older...my own bones are aching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:33 AM
Crowned Member

It can create issues with the dogs going elsewhere. However An adult dog should only relieve itself a couple times a day and you are at the same time teaching a go pee command which is a lifesaver if you are travelling.
All my dogs prefer to wait until we are at their spot however they also know that when I take them out and say go pee I want them to go right here right now.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:11 AM
Crowned Member

Timely post! We are bring home a pup in early May and haven't had a puppy around since 2008 so the advice is great!!!!

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page