ISO Trainer for 7 Month Old - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

ISO Trainer for 7 Month Old

We have a 7 month old German Shepherd in need of training. She was surrendered to us by her previous owner who simply couldn't handle her. We’ve raised multiple dogs (and currently have 2 other German Shepherds), but after only a few weeks with her decided to seek professional help for her behavior/training. After 6 appointments (and a short boarding period) with our current trainer, we’re concerned that little to no progress has been made and some behaviors have actually worsened. She’s a very high-driven dog that comes from a strong line of IPO dogs so we want to make sure her mindset/lineage can be handled by whichever new trainer we choose. There is some concern that the current trainer we are using may be resorting to intimidation/dominance to force her into “settling” or calming down during training sessions. We want to make sure the training she receives is a positive learning experience. She is very sweet, but is super hyper, bites (in a non-aggressive way), and definitely has some dog-on-dog aggression with dogs that aren’t in our family. She’s part of our family, and we would never want to get rid of her but we need to be able to control her. I'm sure many of you have dealt with difficult working lineage pups. If you have suggestions for trainers or what step we should take next, please send them my way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It would be helpful if you put your general location, either in this thread, or you can add it to your profile so it will appear below your username in all your posts.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:04 PM

For online help, you can check out Dave Kroyer. He's got a huge video library of training stuff, including a series of videos for training/raising a competitive working puppy. It takes a paid subscription to access most of the videos, but it's not too expensive and well worth it, in my opinion.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion! We live in Alabama, but would be willing to travel to neighboring states if we found the right match for a training program.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Checking his website out now. Thanks for the recommendation!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:37 PM

Had excellent results with our pup, when we send him for a 4 week board and train to Natalia Balabanov. They are located in Plant City Fl, and we did start him at 7 months. Pic below is at 1 year of age, he is now 14 month of age, and still doing well. Best of luck with your quest!
Attached Images

Tulip likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

What a beautiful boy! Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into her program today. Do they offer any type of guarantee with the training? We've already splurged quite a lot on our current trainer, especially considering the lack of progress that has been made, so I'm weary of paying a ton of money without some sort of satisfaction guarantee. The whole situation has been extremely frustrating, and at this point we feel that we need to do whatever possible to decrease the stress on our family as a whole by addressing her behavior.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the information. We have an 8 mo old male who’s become very uneasy around other dogs and some people after a dog came after him a month ago while we were out socializing him. He had been doing really well, so I’m hoping this is just the afraid of everything phase and will pass.

I’m going to revert his training and go back to using more food again to get him over this hurdle. I feel 3gsdmom’s frustration, there is so much stress when we try to take him anywhere and I’m sure he feeds off that. We need him to be very social, friendly, and comfortable around people and dogs.

Of course, the timing couldn’t be worse, we have to board him for 2 weeks starting next Friday since our normal dogsitter is out of town too. The kennel owner is a former K9 handler, so we’re hoping to have him do a two training program while he’s there.

We’re near Tampa too, so I’m going to look into the 4 week board and train too.
3gsdmom likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Have you checked out local schutzhund clubs. They would have better resources than most trainers to help you. Getting involved with a schutzhund club will give your puppy an outlet and give you a support group.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Elite Member

Do you have any IGP Clubs in your area? Maybe they can help. Good on you for taking er in and going to these lengths to train her <3

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page