Crate Training Schedule Advise - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Opsoclonus

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Crate Training Schedule Advise

Hi All, I know there are a lot of these posts but I was hoping for some reassurance or constructive criticism to a crating schedule for my wife and mine new GSD puppy Caesar. (11.5wks) My wife and I both work full time and I do have some days I can be home for the full day or the afternoon. Our schedule with Caesar is as follows.

1am or 2am = Out for a middle of the night potty break, then back into crate. He is usually good with this since he is tired.
5am =My wife gets up and takes him out for potty break, then back into crate while she gets ready for work.

6:30am = I get up and let him out of crate and we go to kitchen for water and breakfast. He still seems tired at this time unless my wife wakes him up by accident. I am considering extending this to 7am.

7am = My wife leaves for work

7:15am or 7:30am = Morning walk, usually a mile. Not sure if it is too much or not enough. As of lately he is stopping alot and sitting while on our walk...not sure if he is tired or stubborn, or still waking up? The last quarter of the walk he starts to pick up the pace.
8am or 8:15am = Into crate, I get ready for work.
8:30am = Last potty break/pee break. He usually doesn't have to eliminate, but I usually wait 5-10 min or until he lays down in the yard eating sticks.

8:30am or 8:45am = Back in crate, sometimes with bully stick. I leave for work.

11am or 11:30am = Dog walker arrives and brings him out to eliminate and go for a 30min walk.

1pm (sometimes) = Potty break if I am able to come home to work remote the remainder of my day.
1:30pm or 2pm = Crate if he appears to be sleepy.
4pm or 5pm = Potty break, and free time until dinner or unless we have to go out in the evening.
7pm = Dinner
7:30pm = Walk or play

8pm = Water removed
8:30pm or 9pm = Last potty break.

9pm or 9:30pm = Crate and bedtime
*repeat

I hope this is an okay schedule for him, and am looking for criticism to critique it for his current age now and for the future when he gets into his adolescent age.

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:42 PM

You have a routine and this is probably the most important aspect of this training.

The schedule looks fine to me but it is all about how Caesar is adapting to the schedule for when you may consider tweaking it.

My concern is regarding the bully stick and hydration.

First, puppy's will need to consume a greater quantity of water than an adolescent or adult dog and Bully stick's are loaded with salt - so he will not be getting adequate hydration that he will need after finishing the stick or even when the dog walker arrives/leaves.
I can't be sure if he is getting enough hydration from looking at your schedule, so perhaps let him drink water at 5AM and observer if there is any change in activity during your walk at 7AM.

Secondly, a bully stick should never be left unattended.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

My only comments are that a mile seems a lot for such a young puppy by as long as you are allowing him to stop as needed r should be fine

And I never leave chews with them alone. I throw in a small handful of kibble or a biscuit or a chew they will finish before I leave. Bully sticks are for when Mommy needs quiet time! Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I had noticed he craves water after the bully sticks even when he chews on it durning his free-time under our supervision. I should have put 2and2 together. He also likes his Kong, however he doesn't seem to like any of the treats to stuff it with and give him..Already thru 5 different types of treats. My sister (has 2 goldens) said try Hot Dogs cut in to very small pieces.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
My only comments are that a mile seems a lot for such a young puppy by as long as you are allowing him to stop as needed r should be fine

And I never leave chews with them alone. I throw in a small handful of kibble or a biscuit or a chew they will finish before I leave. Bully sticks are for when Mommy needs quiet time! Lol

Yea a mile is the max, I actually just mapped it and it is .7miles in the morning. He does start and stop a lot on the walk, and needs encouragement to keep going. I can't tell if it is because he is tired because it is too far or still waking up...The last quarter of the walk he picks up speed back to the house.

As for chews, he has a few chew toys in his crate, sometimes a Kong (still trying to figure out what to put in it so he enjoys it longer)

I will try the bully sticks only when quite time is needed, lol. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM

My puppy is the exact same age, and I've found I don't need to take the water away at night, she can't access it from her crate anyway. I take her out before bedtime around 9:30-10:00 then again in the middle of the night (been trying to push it further back to see how long she needs, last night was about 1 am). She might grab a couple sips on her way back to bed but she's fine then till 7-8 when my husband gets up and takes her out.

I was also told puppies that age don't need that much walking. I can't even get my girl to walk much, she's too nervous outside the yard. We have a play session in the yard in the morning then I take her out somewhere for socializing after lunch. Mostly she just sniffs around and watches everything.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amancila View Post
My puppy is the exact same age, and I've found I don't need to take the water away at night, she can't access it from her crate anyway. I take her out before bedtime around 9:30-10:00 then again in the middle of the night (been trying to push it further back to see how long she needs, last night was about 1 am). She might grab a couple sips on her way back to bed but she's fine then till 7-8 when my husband gets up and takes her out.

I was also told puppies that age don't need that much walking. I can't even get my girl to walk much, she's too nervous outside the yard. We have a play session in the yard in the morning then I take her out somewhere for socializing after lunch. Mostly she just sniffs around and watches everything.

Thanks Amancila.
Is she able to go the whole night? Or are you waking up to let her pee in the middle of the night?

Also I'm gonna try less walking and more of a wandering around outside of the house in the yard for 20-30min.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page