Favorite leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Favorite leash?

What's your favorite style of leash for introducing it to a new puppy? Slip lead? Flat collar and traditional clipped-on leash? Harness?

We'll have a very long drive home from the breeder's...probably around 6 hours, or more if I hit some unhappy traffic snarls. So at the very least, we'll need a leash right away for those potty breaks.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

I have always used adjustable nylon flat collars and the longest, lightest leash I can find. Cat leashes are usually good if nothing else is available. Make sure the collar is adjusted snug enough so there is no chance of escape. I seldom spend much on puppy collars as they outgrow them so fast. And at a young age I don't like them on a leash really so I want one that creates the least drag and allows room to move around without creating conflict.
Tulip, wolfy dog, car2ner and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:21 PM

For a little pup I agree with Sabis. Only spend a few small dollars on something cute, but not much. The first leash is a 1/2 cotton string, like a clothes line. That way there are no knots to get hung up if I let the pup drag it. If it get peed on or nasty dirty I toss it away and cut another length of line.

I prefer to use a small harness on very young pups than a leash but I didn't use one for their rides home.
Tulip, Sabis mom and Judy Untamed like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! I do have a kennel for the car ride, but I'm concerned about the moments of getting out to go potty. Given the nature of GSDs in general, and the overall scary newness of the entire situation, I'm sure she probably won't stray far from me during potty breaks, but the long-time Mom within me is far too imaginative of worst-case scenarios to chance it without some kind of line that keeps her attached to me for those first brief moments.

Also, a little later on when she's cleared by the vet to go out into public...we live in a very suburban area with strong leash laws. Lots of parks to explore, but none can be leash-free that I know of. I don't know how to NOT use a leash, once we start walking in public.
Tulip likes this.

-- Judy

Waiting in Heaven:

Last edited by Judy Untamed; 03-08-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: removing extraneous emote
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If you're concerned with her getting loose on a potty stop I'd go with either a slip lead or a martingale collar. As everyone else said, something lightweight and inexpensive.

You could probably get away with one stop on a 6 hour trip. We had a 10 hour drive home with Dena and we stopped maybe 3 times. I know we needed gas once and did drive-through burgers for dinner, we stopped and ate in the parking lot and then let her out before we continued on. We may have stopped once more, I can't recall, maybe for a human pee break, lol. I do remember that she peed a bunch on the front lawn when we got home, I don't think she did much on her potty breaks prior to that.
Tulip and Judy Untamed like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

You can get small harnesses and very lightweight leashes at Dollar Tree for a buck each. They also have lightweight flat collars in three sizes -- they definitely have them small enough for a puppy.

They're good enough to get you home -- low quality, but they get the job done. I actually buy them there for all our rescue's foster dogs for adoption day, so that every dog goes home with a "temporary" collar and tag, in case their adopters haven't gone shopping yet.
Tulip, atomic and Judy Untamed like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Untamed View Post
Thanks, guys! I do have a kennel for the car ride, but I'm concerned about the moments of getting out to go potty. Given the nature of GSDs in general, and the overall scary newness of the entire situation, I'm sure she probably won't stray far from me during potty breaks, but the long-time Mom within me is far too imaginative of worst-case scenarios to chance it without some kind of line that keeps her attached to me for those first brief moments.

Also, a little later on when she's cleared by the vet to go out into public...we live in a very suburban area with strong leash laws. Lots of parks to explore, but none can be leash-free that I know of. I don't know how to NOT use a leash, once we start walking in public.
I had the same problem, I prefer to not start puppies on leashes but the city that I lived in had leash laws with hefty fines. So a long light leash or line is the key so puppy can explore a bit while still being safe and law abiding.
One thing I always do when transporting unknown dogs, or Shadow, is leave leash and collar on in the crate. I am aware of the risks but if I am right there it is a far more acceptable risk then having a frightened pup slip past me in a parking lot. When I travel with Shadow I switch her from her long line to a 4 foot leash when I put her in her crate.
And take baby wipes and a few old towels with you. And bottled water.
Judy Untamed likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
One thing I always do when transporting unknown dogs, or Shadow, is leave leash and collar on in the crate. I am aware of the risks but if I am right there it is a far more acceptable risk then having a frightened pup slip past me in a parking lot.

100% agree! There are way too many dogs that get lost on volunteer transports when they change to the next transporter at a rest area or gas station because exactly what you imagine occurs -- scared dog who doesn't know you simply bolts at the first opportunity by leaping out of a crate while you are fooling with putting on a collar on it to leash it up.

Be sure that collar has a tag on it with your cell number too, just in case the worst happens. You can pick one up at most Walmart stores at a machine in the front of the store near the entrance. They have small tags that are cat-sized that would be perfect for a pup -- it may only have room for a cell number, but that's enough.
Judy Untamed likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Tagged collar with info
Lightweight leash
Baby wipes
Towels
Water bowl
Bottled water
Crate

I'm making a list and checking it twice. Eight more days....feels like forever, and feels like no time at all. Mostly, feels like forever, still.... LOL

-- Judy

Waiting in Heaven:
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Untamed View Post
Tagged collar with info
Lightweight leash
Baby wipes
Towels
Water bowl
Bottled water
Crate

I'm making a list and checking it twice. Eight more days....feels like forever, and feels like no time at all. Mostly, feels like forever, still.... LOL
Garbage bag and cash. Quicker and easier to toss a twenty to the gas dude then mess with a card. On long trips I always take a change of clothes because I cannot tell you how many fosters have puked, pooped or peed on me. LOL! But this is a pretty quick trip really.
Also take music you like in case you get a screamer. Had a whole litter I was bringing home and ONE screamed like I was skinning him the whole way. Don't be scared though, most of the pups I have travelled with curled up and slept. Do stop for a potty break though, because the puppy will undoubtedly have to pee as soon as you cannot pull over, it's just a law.
Judy Untamed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page