Favorite leash? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

I hadn't even thought about parvo. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll be calling my vet soon to set up Yazzy's first visit, so I'll ask them then about the prevalence of parvo both in my area and in the I-35 corridor that we'll be driving down to come home. Even if it's only a mild concern at this time, I'll avoid the places where dogs most commonly wander and potty, because there's lots of other icky stuff out there beyond parvo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post

( Hopefully you will not be here with posts entitled "haven't slept in three days" or "pup keeps peeing in the house"...!
But you are an experienced dog owner, I think it should go well! )
I've SO missed being a mom to a baby and look forward to it with relish....sleepless nights, crying, peeing, pooping, biting, chewing....it's all part of mommyhood, and I can't wait!
Tulip and Sabis mom like this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Crowned Member

If you have to stop, find a church or some other building where dogs would not commonly frequent.

As far as leashes and collars, either a harness or non-slip collar (not a choker but a martingale type). Not a regular buckle or snap collar.
Tulip and Judy Untamed like this.

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 AM

I use an adjustable harness and a retractable leash while walking and training my dog. A puppy will grow very fast, so the adjustable harness for puppies can fit his growing shape and be safe to a new puppy without any training. And the retractable leash helps you control your puppy in different situations, such as shortening it while crossing the road. However, I suggest you should not put your puppy outside immediately, let him adapt to the hardness and leash at first, then follow the steps in this article.
Hope to see your feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Yes to the martingale collar!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipper View Post
I use an adjustable harness and a retractable leash while walking and training my dog. A puppy will grow very fast, so the adjustable harness for puppies can fit his growing shape and be safe to a new puppy without any training. And the retractable leash helps you control your puppy in different situations, such as shortening it while crossing the road. However, I suggest you should not put your puppy outside immediately, let him adapt to the hardness and leash at first, then follow the steps in this article.
Hope to see your feedback!
I know this is off topic but for future reference this needs to be addressed. Most pups from reputable breeders will be used to wearing some sort of collar as they are most often kept track of by use of coloured collars. Further to that I am firmly convinced that the more of a thing we make of things the more they will react. So put a collar on the little goober under supervision and go about your business.
Retractable leashes should be banned. They have no place on a real dog. They are dangerous and teach horrible habits and they are the last thing I would put on a vulnerable and learning puppy. The whole object of the game is to teach them NOT to pull or resist the leash. To follow and stay near with the leash being only for back up and safety, and to keep us in compliance with the laws. With the possible exception of service dog handlers any owner of a GSD who cannot learn to handle a leash and long line should not own one.
I know you meant well and it is awesome that you share your experience, keep learning and experimenting with what works for you.

@dogfaeries totally agree with the martingale. Snippy headed little Shadow can slip a flat collar faster then I can react, or even blink!
Jax08 likes this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Favorite leash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
totally agree with the martingale. Snippy headed little Shadow can slip a flat collar faster then I can react, or even blink!

Had Italian Greyhounds (with their skinny little heads) for years, and Im paranoid about dogs slipping their collars! All puppies are walked on a martingale. Actually I have martingales for the adult dogs too. I recently bought a limited slip collar from White Pine for Scarlet, which I really like.
Sabis mom and Judy Untamed like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:51 PM

For me I have three leashes I use regularly depending on what were doing. For my Dobie he gets a ten foot horse lead when we go hiking. I also have a biothane orange lead that also turns into a slip lead I use for any of the other dogs on hikes or forays into town. All of their collars are made from similar material as its indestructible, weather proof, and with the wipe of a rag looks brand new again. Then I have a bungee leash I like to use for jogging and hiking. It can clip to a waist belt and has two handholds one close up to the collar and the other by the handle, I like it because it gives ample warning to the dog when theyre nearing the end of the leash. For a new puppy I always got their first collar/harness/leash from the dollar tree. Its not any worse quality than basic nylon gear at the chain pet stores and cost ten times less.
Sabis mom and Judy Untamed like this.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 PM

Hi everyone! To answer this question, I've been through 4 leashes already with my puppy. I did find a guy that makes paracord dog leashes. Their very simple leashes and my pup can't bite or chew through it. I believe his email is [email protected] if you're interested.
I got the leash over a month ago now and it hasn't torn or ripped. The other leashes I bought ripped within a week or two. These paracord leashes are great if you have a teething pup like I do, that likes to chew on the leash when we're out. Good luck!
Judy Untamed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page