Puppy peeing even after going out - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Amancila

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Puppy peeing even after going out

Just got a GSD puppy last Sunday who will be 11 weeks old tomorrow. New to puppy training, but I thought I was doing well the first couple days taking her out religiously every 2 hours, she only had 1 accident which I caught mid-pee. Yesterday it seemed like we were off-sync and she peed a couple times indoors. Today she is peeing indoors even though I'm trying to be more vigilant, catching her soon after eating/naps. But she just peed again twice, even though I had just taken her out half an hour before, and she peed twice outside as well. I'm not really sure how to recognize signs that she needs to go. Circling and sniffing? She does that all day long. Thankfully she hasn't peed in her crate (yet). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 AM
Crowned Member

It’s good to get on a routine. Take out of crate then outside to potty. As they potty I would say go pee pee and reward them with praise. (It does eventually help on those freezing winter nights and they catch on very quick) then inside to play and back outside to potty then crate. If they drink water and play -soon they will have to potty. It’s just easier to wAtch then when on a schedule or some people tether them to themselves. Depending on puppy they start having more control of there bladder 16 weeks +.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:00 AM
Master Member

When she's that young, it's not just every 2 hours. It's also after every meal, after she wakes up from a nap, after she plays, after she eats, etc. I know this may be too much for some of the more advanced dog owners, but for me, keeping a poop/pee log helped a lot. You get tired and days start to look the same everyday. You can't remember if you took her out at 2pm today...or was that yesterday? That's why for me the log helped a lot. It also helped me predict when it had to go out. It's not fool proof but it helped. Like Jenny720 said, get into a routine. They become creatures of habit which makes thing much easier later on. And for me, it's much easier when they're on a strict schedule. Then I can plan my day around the schedule.

Praise/treat when they go outside. Throw a party. Make it really exciting for her to go outside. When she goes outside, "good potty" or "good pee" or "good poop"...whatever the words you want to use. My dog learned to go on command now. That helps a lot in the future when you're in a hurry to do something or go somewhere and you need her to go quickly.

And remember, there's no instant fix. This takes time. Different dogs, different learning curves. What one dog learns in 1 month may take another dog 2-3 months.

Hang in there. It'll get harder before it get's easier. And once she stops doing it in the house, you'll be so proud of her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

The problem yesterday got to the point where she was not only peeing indoors, she was actually refusing to pee while outdoors and THEN peeing indoors. I'm not sure if she was maybe not feeling well or something, she seemed a little off the entire evening, but she's better today. My husband and I realized that we might have been giving her too much control over coming inside when she wants, so we are taking charge and not letting her drag us back to the door anymore. I do say "potty" to her every time she pees or poops and then praise her as soon as she's done.

Should I only play with her indoors? We have one long outdoor session first thing in the morning where we play with her flirt pole for a few minutes then run around the yard to let off some steam. She loves to play in the snow and track her own paw prints, so I've been letting her run around a bit after she pees. Might just bring her out, tell her to potty and then right back indoors to play if that will get her to focus on peeing outdoors.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 PM

They pee ALOT at that age. Mine never had run of the house until much older. Crate training is essential. Then maybe a playpen with pee wee pads while still taking them out ALL the time. Once they grow some bigger bladders and muscle strength it'll be all forgotten.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:19 PM

not only did I set a timer and take my puppies out (unless they were asleep) I also had them either tethered to me or in a crate.

My gal pup figured out that we would go outside if she peed so she started wetting her crate so I would take her out ><. It took me two days to figure it out and two days for her to figure out that I'd clean her crate and put her right back into it! Then I would take her out a bit later.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Lol yeah, they are crafty as I'm learning. I don't tether her to me but I only let her out of her crate if I'm paying close attention to her. The times she peed while not right in front of me were when I took my eyes off her for 10 seconds to grab something out of a drawer, and another time when I threw her a toy and she ran off upstairs with it, I thought she was playing and would bring it back until I went up later and found the puddles on the carpet. At any rate I kept an eye on her all day today, took her out after every nap/meal/playtime where she hadn't already peed, and didn't let her out of my sight for more than a couple seconds, and no accidents! Yay!
car2ner likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

I kept mine tethered or crated and took him out every 1 1/2 hours, plus after naps, playtime, and meals.
Tethering was very helpful. Kept him from getting bored, and also from being cooped up too much.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page