Working from home with a new puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marylynnb
  • 1 Post By Marylynnb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Working from home with a new puppy

I'm bringing home an 8-week old GSD-Dobbie mix next week and I work from home full time. I want to keep my puppy near me as I work; should I move his crate from room to room or use a leash to tie him next to my desk? Or to myself?

I also have a 10-year-old Dalmatian who hangs out with me all day while I work. He's not well trained, but very submissive. Any tips on how to manage their interactions?

Thanks!
Mary
Judy Untamed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 PM

Hey....you look familiar.

I'd leave the crate wherever it is you want his primary sleeping/safe zone to be. Put a comfy bed next to your desk and keep a line attached to you that can easily reach the bed and something to gnaw on....but short enough that Jack can stay out of reach when he wants to, but still be in the office with you as well.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Here's a recent thread discussion on the topic of a new puppy in the home with an older dog:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...older-dog.html

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:30 PM

My pup is now 16 weeks and we have a 13-year old Golden, so I can relate.

One thing I wish I'd done is the umbilical method, or some variation: keep him close so that he never gets a chance to go into the corner and potty. Would have saved some time and cleanup, I think.

My Jupiter wants to be with me at all times (unless he's being naughty and trying to rip up one of my daughter's toys), and will scream and yelp if I don't allow him to do so. It seems to be a feature of the breed that he wants to be with his person at all times.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies! I read the other post about puppies and older dogs and I won’t be able to keep them separate, but I will keep mine tethered to me or crated. I feel my life is about to change dramatically. We’re picking him up this morning!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:20 AM

Personally I would move the crate where you will be because their is no way that puppy is going to stay in your sight. Being on a leash will just be a tangled mess. I would only use the crate for about 2-3 months at that time your puppy should be more adjusted to staying close and not needing to pee every hour or 2. The cage will always become it's safe place no mater where it is.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Malibu, I am trying that today since yesterday (his first day home) he got too used to sleeping cuddled up next to me and nighttime was a disaster. Also, our older dog is jealous and quite perplexed as to why the heck this thing is in his house. Lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Update

Update: We transfer Caz's kennel from the bedroom to the living room during the day and that seems to be working well. If I'm working in my home office, I tie him up just far enough away that he can't reach my computer cables . He has a nice bed and lots of toys to keep him busy.

We ended up bringing down from the attic the big crate for our Dalmatian. He goes in there when it's play time with the puppy because that makes him really anxious and mildly aggressive. It's like he wants to play too but just doesn't know what to do.

My living room looks like it's been overcome with dog crates! Thanks all for the advice.
Judy Untamed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page