Foundation for a loose leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By GSDchoice

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Foundation for a loose leash

Is there things I can do with a puppy that gives foundation for loose leash walking? My definition of loose leash walking is just not pulling. I don't care if they are not right next to me, I just want the pup not to pull on the leash. Is there foundation I could teach so as to not have to train not to do it later on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Master Member

I can't believe that I actually can answer a question on here...?

We learned this in basic obedience class! Dog offleash in fenced yard or house, and you have treats. Hold treat low down by your leg, and walk, saying "Follow me!" or "Stay close!" Dog will follow you (and the treat). Reward with treat periodically. Practice making turns and figure 8s and stopping while keeping dog by your side. This is painless, fun for dog, and helps to develop pup's habit of walking near your leg. (Trainer showed us the right way to hold treat...down next to your leg, and access to the treat is from BEHIND your hand...) Then you can add a "Sit" each time you stop, for fun.

Well, that's the way I was taught. I am sure different trainers have different approaches.
huntergreen and Sabis mom like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
I can't believe that I actually can answer a question on here...?
😄 That's how I feel most of the time! What you suggested does make sense, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:07 PM

I used to tie the leash around my waist or thigh and clip the pup on the end. The leash must not be too long or too short but have enough slack.

Where I went, my pup followed; if pup tried to pull in one direction then I would move in the opposite direction. When pup was at my side I would verbally praise her.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Try this: tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT8VDgR_Koo
I trained Gabby with this video series and recommend them all the time. They work if you put the time in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page