Resources for Info on Raising a Working Puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Resources for Info on Raising a Working Puppy?

Sorry for having so many questions lately! I am determined to do everything right with my next puppy haha (due to be born at the end of this month!!), so I'm doing all the research I possibly can to be fully prepared before I bring her home haha. The one thing I'm having trouble finding is just more info on how to correctly raise a puppy for house living and Schutzhund. I've got the concept of socializing as much as possible, working on engagement everywhere, redirecting playbiting to a toy or rag (as opposed to correcting the puppy), and teaching and alternate behavior (such as sit) instead of correcting the puppy for jumping. However I just want to learn more about how to raise the pup in the house to make sure it learns basic house manners (no jumping or playbiting as an adult, no acting crazy in the house, no chewing on/grabbing/running around with inappropriate objects in the house, etc etc., without diminishing the pup's drive/ability to do schutzhund. I've already watched Leerburg's Your Puppy 8 Weeks to 8 Months as well as Leerburg's Puppy Bitework Foundations. I've really been wanting his video on How to Raise a Working Puppy. Has anyone else seen this DVD and if so, do you recommend it? What other books/dvds/online articles/etc (free resources are greatly appreciated!) would you recommend to learn more about these things?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
das1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Master Member

I've seen it, it is a good step by step how to video. People who have raised multiple working puppies likely wouldn't get much, but I think it is a good resource for people even raising a puppy as a pet. Also you are going to make mistakes, probably a lot of them. I'm sure even the best handlers messed up a lot of stuff with their first puppy. Don't stress so much about doing everything "right" that you don't enjoy just having a puppy and also letting a puppy just be a puppy.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
I've seen it, it is a good step by step how to video. People who have raised multiple working puppies likely wouldn't get much, but I think it is a good resource for people even raising a puppy as a pet. Also you are going to make mistakes, probably a lot of them. I'm sure even the best handlers messed up a lot of stuff with their first puppy. Don't stress so much about doing everything "right" that you don't enjoy just having a puppy and also letting a puppy just be a puppy.
Oh okay cool, thank you! And yeah, that was one problem with my last dog... I didnt let him just be a puppy, so I'm definitely gonna do that with my next one.

MineAreWorkingline likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Pay attention to your puppies temperament and that will give you the right plan. In general, what I find the most helpful is to keep a certain separation between your house manners and your formal obedience. I don't train anything at home as far as formal/IPO, whatever you do. Everything has a clear beginning and a clear ending. Its simple, I take him somewhere, tell him "Ready" and we play and train. When I'm done, I say "Done" and we move off and walk around, go home, whatever were going to do at that point.

All I want them to do at home is settle and relax. I don't want them to expect play or anything like that at home. They still act like any other dog at home, but its easier for everything I want to have that little bit of clear difference of when and where its time to open up all that drive.

One thing I do at home because its not too different then any other feeding, is I'll scatter food around on my lawn and let them sniff for it. At some point I go ahead and scuff out a scent pad for it to encourage them using their nose. Something I learned the hard way is not to track alone any more then you have to. So as soon as you're ready to start with tracking, it'll be better if you know someone with experience through the club. You aren't alone when you trial, so having someone walk the track with you, other dogs or people around is important. I think its a different type of distraction that I don't wait to introduce.

The first game I introduce is two ball. People use it for different things, some don't use it at all. I use it to create a pattern of running back to me. Just a little foundation for recalls and retrieves.

Play with her a lot, in as many different places as you can. I think that's the most helpful way to keep them from checking out on you, kind of like what you saw with her sire.
Tulip, CometDog and das1 like this.

Doc

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Pay attention to your puppies temperament and that will give you the right plan. In general, what I find the most helpful is to keep a certain separation between your house manners and your formal obedience. I don't train anything at home as far as formal/IPO, whatever you do. Everything has a clear beginning and a clear ending. Its simple, I take him somewhere, tell him "Ready" and we play and train. When I'm done, I say "Done" and we move off and walk around, go home, whatever were going to do at that point.

All I want them to do at home is settle and relax. I don't want them to expect play or anything like that at home. They still act like any other dog at home, but its easier for everything I want to have that little bit of clear difference of when and where its time to open up all that drive.

One thing I do at home because its not too different then any other feeding, is I'll scatter food around on my lawn and let them sniff for it. At some point I go ahead and scuff out a scent pad for it to encourage them using their nose. Something I learned the hard way is not to track alone any more then you have to. So as soon as you're ready to start with tracking, it'll be better if you know someone with experience through the club. You aren't alone when you trial, so having someone walk the track with you, other dogs or people around is important. I think its a different type of distraction that I don't wait to introduce.

The first game I introduce is two ball. People use it for different things, some don't use it at all. I use it to create a pattern of running back to me. Just a little foundation for recalls and retrieves.

Play with her a lot, in as many different places as you can. I think that's the most helpful way to keep them from checking out on you, kind of like what you saw with her sire.
Thank you for all the advice! I did eventually get her sire motivated with food, but my biggest problem with him was house manners (mainly marking, grabbing/chewing inappropriate objects, and just acting crazy in general lol), so I really want my next puppy to be a good house dog

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

You teach her those manners like you would any other dog. If potty training and behaving in the house is going to ruin them for sport, they weren't going to make it anyway.
lhczth, Slamdunc, Jax08 and 4 others like this.

Doc

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
You teach her those manners like you would any other dog. If potty training and behaving in the house is going to ruin them for sport, they weren't going to make it anyway.
Obviously I'd treat house training the same way, but normally I would correct a normal house dog for play biting, chewing, and jumping, but from what I've read so far you arent supposed to correct a working pup for those, just redirect and teach alternate behaviors?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Master Member

I bought the video years ago and was not that impressed. You might want to reconsider how much time you are going to let your pup stay in the house because theret will be a constant need to supervise and that becomes tiresome and can lead to frustration/irritability toward the pup. A high drive pup will result in at least some destruction. Some good books are "Purely Positive Training" and "Schutzhund-Training in Drive." Be prepared to take some abuse.
Tulip likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I don't know if Dave has anything on his site about this, but you can check out what videos are available without paying, I believe.
https://www.davekroyer.com/videos
Tulip likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
I bought the video years ago and was not that impressed. You might want to reconsider how much time you are going to let your pup stay in the house because theret will be a constant need to supervise and that becomes tiresome and can lead to frustration/irritability toward the pup. A high drive pup will result in at least some destruction. Some good books are "Purely Positive Training" and "Schutzhund-Training in Drive." Be prepared to take some abuse.
Thank you for the book recommendations! After my last dog, I do know what to expect, and I will still be utilizing the crate for breaks, but I would like her to spend more time outside of the crate than my last pup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page