Housebreaking puppies to poop in one part of the yard - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By wm97
  • 2 Post By Sabis mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Housebreaking puppies to poop in one part of the yard

I got two GSD pups about seven months ago (brother and sister, litter mates). We have a large yard with lots of room to run around and it really would be preferable if they would do their pooping way out by the back fence rather than near the back porch, in front of the garage door, etc. That makes maintenance easier, as well as being much better for smell and flies. At seven months, I have achieved it. They poop out by the back fence and not near the house.

The procedure, starting from the untrained puppies, was pretty simple.
They were not crated at any time. They lived in the house next to the people in the house. Physical contact was frequent, any time humans or puppies wanted it. Housebreaking consisted of watching them like a hawk day and night to see when they started to squat and shouting "NO!" and then hustling them outside. Two puppies is considerably more challenging than one but it didn't take more than five or six "NO"s for each to get the idea. Vigilance is the key.

But then they were puppies so, when they went outside, they didn't go far from the door. All the poop wound up around the back porch. As they grew, they went farther, but their pooping was random. Any place was good for them, and I didn't want that.

So the first step was that I went out and got some cheap concrete pavers and laid them down to pave a large area that would be the "Seriously -- no poop" area. I used cheap wire fencing to fence off any other areas that I did not want them to poop. If you don't want the labor of laying concrete pavers, any other clear demarcation of poop-no-poop will probably do -- something dogs can recognize.

Then I cleaned up all the poop in the yard, scrubbed all the spots where they had pooped that I didn't want them to, and used a couple of kinds of doggy deodorizers in good quantities to kill the smell in those places. The places where I did want them to poop, I picked up the poop but didn't do any deodorizing or cleaning.

Then I got a cheap yard sprayer and mixed up some garlic oil, clove oil, and water. One small bottle of each (about ten bucks each) in a one gallon garden sprayer. Then I sprayed the "no poop" area with it.

I also made the "no poop" area more comfortable for them with some old carpet remnants they can play on. The local carpet store will give them to you for free because they are trash, but the dogs love them. Get the clean remnants from new installations. That makes them more likely to regard the area as a play and rest area where they don't want poop themselves.

The result is that they now poop in the far corner of the backyard. It is out of sight and out of mind so I can go longer between cleanups and, when I do a cleanup, it is all in one area.

It isn't perfect, of course. There are still occasions when one of them will poop in the "no poop" area. We clean it, deodorize it, and hit it with the garlic clove mix again. It isn't perfect, but it is a huge improvement.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

There is a much easier way to do it but Kudos to you for figuring it out on your own. My dogs go to one designated area in the yard and that's that. No need to separate anything or spray anything, just show them the spot.
Tulip and Springbrz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page