Research and Preparation vs Overthinking and Fretting - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Research and Preparation vs Overthinking and Fretting

So, I don't have a puppy yet. I am hoping/expecting to bring her home on March 18th. She'll be 10 weeks old at that time. (I have a business trip right before that, and it seems wrong to bring her home sooner, only to leave her behind, so I'll wait until I get back.)

She's a WGSL with a strong pedigree of titles in both show and IPO.

The more I've studied and researched bringing home a GSD, the more fascinated I get with the idea of working her in IPO....not for national championships or anything, but for the challenge of the training and discipline...for BOTH of us! But primarily, she'll be a companion and family dog.

I'm trying to learn all I can about training pups...following a couple of different trainer videos online (VERY different styles and personalities). The more I watch and read....the more nervous I get. My overactive imagination starts producing mental home-movies in which I ruin my puppy by training her wrong...and end up with either a reactive, out-of-control, rude dog...or a sweet fluff with no prey drive or interest in doing anything but playing ball and holding down the furniture.

I've written to my local IPO club (San Antonio), asking about their 2019 schedule and if I can come observe and learn more....but have not heard back anything yet.

I'd like to find a local trainer that I could work with both one-on-one and in group settings (when the time is right) that has solid experience in IPO work and understands GSDs....but other than unanswered emails to the local IPO club, I'm not at all sure where to start looking.

There's one guy (one of the ones I'm following on video) that is up in Austin...does sport training all the way up to world championships all over the world...but he's also VERY expensive....and I'm more than a little intimidated by him because I'm such an absolute newb to all of this.

ANYhow...sorry for such a long, rambling post. It's partly to vent my anxieties...partly in hopes of a little reassurance...and partly in hopes of a word or two of advice along the way. You guys are great and I appreciate your attention!

The pre-puppy jitters are strong today.........
Datura likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Master Member

Hey there, fellow Texan! I also have a WGSL and love him to pieces! We've done some amateur IPO and I also took my last working line through IPO training. It is a fun sport, and I know the San Antonio club is pretty active.

What breeder did you get your pup from? You can PM if you don't want to share here. I always love hearing where people are getting their WGSL dogs from.

Regarding the Austin trainer, I'm assuming you're referring to Dave Kroyer? I'm a subscriber on his page and love his videos. I try to adhere to his methods as much as possible and they definitely work. You will find that lots of IPO trainers and dog trainers, in general, follow his methods.

Regarding trainers in your area, keep working to get in contact with your local club and see who they would recommend. You can also join the USCA South Central Region group on Facebook and ask there for trainer recommendations. San Antonio is part of the South Central USCA region, and there are bound to be people in there who can make a recommendation.

Here's a link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/201533460603925/

Also check out this one, it is Texas specific: https://www.facebook.com/groups/147570128935641/

Happy training!
Judy Untamed likes this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

I'll actually be up in your neck of the woods mid-February for another business trip. I'm taking some extra time to go up and meet my breeder and her dogs and pups. Seriously can't wait!

I think it's OK to share her here: https://www.nobleheimgermanshepherds.com/

Yes, the Austin trainer is Dave Kroyer. I figured it'd be some good validation if someone picked his name out from my description. I'm really enjoying his videos, but it gets overwhelming, too.

Thanks for the links and recommendations. I'll definitely follow up with those!
kimbale likes this.

-- Judy

Waiting in Heaven:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:02 PM
Master Member

Oh, nice! I saw the Nobleheim crew out at the South Central show in December. Good people!

Keep watching those videos and watch them again and again, it starts to sink in after a bit. Good luck from Wolf and I!
Judy Untamed likes this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Master Member

Hi!
Congratulations on the impending puppy!

I remember feeling like this...while in the process of adopting our GSD/husky mix, I was prepared for the worst. To run him 7 miles a day beside my bike, if he needed husky amounts of exercise. To hotwire our fence, if he was an escape artist. And I read a lot of posts about GSD aggression, so I knew what to do if he was protective and aggressive. I also thought our house would smell like Dog and be covered in fur.

Well, our actual dog turned out to be a mellow middle-aged guy who would prefer to lie on the deck than roam, who will not set a paw out of the front door unless I'm going too, and is contented (even tired) with two long walk/jogs daily. And the house is fine and doesn't smell. (He has never had a single accident).

So...maybe expecting the worst can be good, because then anything else seems better? :-)
On the other hand, maybe I should have just waited to see what my dog is like, and address things from there. :-)
Maybe something in-between is best.

You sound very well-prepared!
Judy Untamed likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, GSDchoice! I'm doing my best to get prepared. When I start feeling TOO anxious about everything, I remind myself that it's good to realize just how much you don't know than to be overly confident and pompous, believing you know everything. Still anxious...but I guess it's a healthy anxiety?

-- Judy

Waiting in Heaven:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:32 AM

Congratulations on the incoming puppy <3
I just got my first pure gsd a few months ago, and I was terrified I was going to ruin him somehow, by either not socializing him enough or over socializing him. I think I did that with my bulldog when she was a pup, and we dealt with some fear aggression a couple years ago with her. I researched myself silly before getting Dean. I was a huge worrywart for the first few months, but thankfully I have calmed down a bit.
Just try to take things as they come, have some resources set aside for if things happen. I really like Leerburg. They have some good working dog videos, and articles and such. Not to mention this board has a lot of awesome people who know their stuff.
I look forward to some photos when you bring your pup home <3 <3
Judy Untamed likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:44 AM

You aren't over thinking...or at least I did the same thing.

If you can get into a good IPO (IPG..they are changing the name) club go for it. If you pup has the right drive you can learn quite a bit just getting the BH! Just remember as you are checking out the club they are checking you out, too. You'll be spending quite a bit of time together so you have to find a nice fit.
If you are getting no response from clubs remember that the officers are typically busy volunteers. Be polite and insistent so they don't forget to respond.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures with your puppers.
Judy Untamed likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll continue to be patient and gently persistent trying to reach out to the clubs in the area. I'm sure that in addition to being busy volunteers, they are probably also a bit jaded by having to deal with a hundred curious looky-loos for every serious inquiry they receive.

I'll definitely be sharing pictures and stories when she finally comes home. Maybe I'll come up with some kind of regular blog that goes into the life and crazy-times of a first-time GSD owner. That sounds like fun....'cause like, I definitely need another project. LOL Can't wait!
Datura likes this.

-- Judy

Waiting in Heaven:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 PM

I notice you’ve had a Doberman. Trust me when I say you are going to be more than fine! My GSD has been a cakewalk compared to raising my Dobe! I love them dearly but my Dobe was much more challenging and needy, both are intelligent and Velcro dogs. Relax and do your best to get through the wait!
Judy Untamed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page