Harness Recommendations? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Harness Recommendations?

I have a 4.5 month old Shepherd and I'm looking for some harness recommendations. I'm just using a chest harness for walks, he isn't really a puller so that isn't the issue, I just don't like how it sits on him. The bottom of the harness comes right past his chest and it seems like its putting pressure on his belly.

Just curious if anyone has anything they'd recommend, since I'm a little new to the deep chested dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

I don't normally use harnesses, but I had to use one for a while last summer when my adult dog was recovering from eye surgery. We went to a PetSense store and tried some on until we found one we liked -- I wanted one with a handle on top to be able to lift him when needed, as he wasn't allowed to jump after surgery. I *love* the harness we ended up with...but it was about $70 for a big dog. It's cushioned in all the right places, and the handle is heavy-duty.

I think you might be happiest if you go "clothes shopping" with the pup to try on some high-end options that are more than just straps. Hopefully you can find one that's adjustable to accommodate rapid growth of a pup!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

What do you normally use instead of a harness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

A collar -- a flat collar for pups, and a prong collar for grown ups (which isn't painful or mean for the dog at all, when used properly).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

For puppies, I like to use simple martingale collars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Elite Member

Why put him in a harness if he isn't a puller? Flat collar or slip lead, maybe a pinch collar in a couple months if needed.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

We happened to have one leftover from a failed adoption, and it fits. I've heard horror stories of dogs collapsing their throats from pulling too hard with just a collar on, but that may be an unfounded fear with Tank. I may just get a martingale collar since that seems to be the route most are suggesting.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 PM

I use Petsafe 3 in 1 harness, that also has the chest hook. I still have it except in a larger size. Since I transition her a lot between leash and off leash, I sometimes prefer it over her prong or regular collar as I can grab her easier especially when we are hiking with the handle on the back of the harness. I've tried a few others and haven't been impressed with anything else. I like the minimalist straps too.

I also wanted to post because my pup started to become a puller when she grew out of her small size chest harness that coincided with a huge growth spurt. In that short time we had her just on her regular collar, she went from a no-pull dog to a pretty big problem on the leash.

So now she has a larger size of the 3 in 1 harness as well as a prong collar and she's back to being pretty obedient on the leash. So, at least in my experience, be weary of deeming her a gentle puller at this stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page