• 1 Post By sebrench
  • 2 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By LuvShepherds
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Recommendations on puppy classes?

Hi folks,

any recommendations for puppy classes in the Toronto west end area? I've got my eye on "When Hounds Fly".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDany View Post
Hi folks,

any recommendations for puppy classes in the Toronto west end area? I've got my eye on "When Hounds Fly".
I'd also like to add: do you considering puppy classes absolutely necessary? I'll be exposing my pup to plenty of things on my own, as well as basic training. Would classes just be a waste of money at that point? Save it for obedience down the road maybe? Just a thought.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Elite Member

I can't tell you anything about the trainers or facility, but I do like to take my puppies to classes. I probably don't need instruction to train my dogs in basic obedience anymore, but I still learn new things whenever I take a class with a new trainer. I think the controlled setting is helpful in socializing with other leashed dogs, puppies, and people, and for proofing obedience in a distracting environment. I like to keep my puppies/young dog in classes for their first year or two. Of course, I also enjoy the classes. None of my GSDs have been reactive to other dogs or people since I started doing that--although that could be due to a combination of factors. I'm sure there are many people that raise puppies without classes, but if you're inexperienced with GSDs or working breeds, most likely they're a good idea.
GSDany likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:28 PM

just heard this today. Not only is this gal fun to listen to but she happens to give her take on puppy classes in this episode. Her answer is Yes Maybe they can be a good thing. And why she says that.
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/han...rom-the-toilet
Bramble and GSDany like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Visit an ongoing class first and see how they handle GSDs. I took my WL to a puppy class and it was a mistake. They threw treats at him. He was barking and they would not allow me to do anything to stop it except reward with more treats. The small puppies were allowed to have off leash play after class. Mine was not, so he developed leash frustration. I will never again take a German Shepherd to a class like that. They did not understand the breed or line. I donít usually recommend PetSmart, but ours has a good puppy socialization class taught by a very experienced private trainer. By the time I looked into it, mine was too old. However, itís not good for obedience. My neighborís dog went and got good play time with other puppies, but she had to find a real obedience class when her dog was old enough for one.
GSDany likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Visit an ongoing class first and see how they handle GSDs. I took my WL to a puppy class and it was a mistake. They threw treats at him. He was barking and they would not allow me to do anything to stop it except reward with more treats. The small puppies were allowed to have off leash play after class. Mine was not, so he developed leash frustration. I will never again take a German Shepherd to a class like that. They did not understand the breed or line. I donít usually recommend PetSmart, but ours has a good puppy socialization class taught by a very experienced private trainer. By the time I looked into it, mine was too old. However, itís not good for obedience. My neighborís dog went and got good play time with other puppies, but she had to find a real obedience class when her dog was old enough for one.
That sounds really frustrating!
I'll definitely see how the local classes handle GSDs, thanks for the advice. I've been to a couple Petsmart puppy classes and they was terrible. I understand why puppy classes are pushed, especially since this is my first time owning a on my own, but I have experience with shepherds having grown up with them in the family for about 20 years. We never took our dogs to classes. I'm pretty confident in at least being able to cover the basics plus adequate socialization until he's old enough for proper obedience classes, but I'll be seeing what a couple of the non Petsmart classes offer. I'm on the fence.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDany View Post
I'd also like to add: do you considering puppy classes absolutely necessary? I'll be exposing my pup to plenty of things on my own, as well as basic training. Would classes just be a waste of money at that point? Save it for obedience down the road maybe? Just a thought.
I have never done puppy classes nor thank god I never needed to. If I felt my puppy needed classes I definitely would go to classes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

In the U.S., pet owners looking for puppy classes might look to see if there's an AKC club in the area -- they usually offer STAR Puppy Classes, which are set up to lead to a CGC. It's a nice way to get pet owners working toward something that's quite achievable, even for novice handlers:

https://www.akc.org/products-service...kc-star-puppy/

Sometimes that involvement with a CGC evaluator creates a bug to try a beginning rally or agility class at the same club, or even start working toward open/utility titles.
GSDany likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page