Walks - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sarah Libby
  • 1 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Walks

So I have been avoiding Petco and the dog parks lately. I have been starting to walk Penny more around a local lake where other people go for jogs and walks. I am trying to work with her on being confident and being neutral when she sees people walking by or jogging by. I want her attention on me, and not other people.
My question is, when should I treat her while we are out on our walk? When she sees someone on our walk, she will stand and watch them. Pretty intently. She doesn't bark or growl (but then again I try and distract her, so I guess I never let her get to the point of barking). I believe (hard to tell as her hair is a little fluffy around her shoulder area) that also while standing there watching the people, her hackles near her shoulders are up too. I want to be sure I am treating the correct behavior, and not the wrong behavior. But if her hackles are up, I don't want to treat that response. Right? I want to treat calm responses. Correct?
We are still working on heel (she is way too eager still so its slow going, but we are slowly getting there). She will be 5 months old on the 18th and is 44.5 pounds 😊

(Picture on the right....She is not happy our ChiTzu has her bone) 😄
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181206_093937_1544685803742.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	515551   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181212_232416_1544685872641.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	515553  
Datura and bnormal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

She seems to be curious with her hair rising a bit unsure. You have a good idea of going to fun places like the people park and trails so she equates anything she may see with good times. You can practice some focus - “look”exercises at home and “leave it” with no distractions at first then gradually practice with little distractions. Also to redirect with obedience exercises and a toy or treat as a reward for those exercises to help her switch gears and focus on you. “Look”- focus video and “leave it “video. If you do not have a clicker u can use the work “good” or “yes” to replace the clicker.

I would just watch little dogs and bones I know little dogs have a tendency to steal things and you want to make sure it does not create a problem. Your pup is beautiful!!!

https://youtu.be/9oo6tcSxWWg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=asVQYY...ature=youtu.be
Datura likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 12-13-2018 at 09:02 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
She seems to be curious with her hair rising a bit unsure. You have a good idea of going to fun places like the people park and trails so she equates anything she may see with good times. You can practice some focus - “look”exercises at home and “leave it” with no distractions at first then gradually practice with little distractions. Also to redirect with obedience exercises and a toy or treat as a reward for those exercises to help her switch gears and focus on you. “Look”- focus video and “leave it “video. If you do not have a clicker u can use the work “good” or “yes” to replace the clicker.

I would just watch little dogs and bones I know little dogs have a tendency to steal things and you want to make sure it does not create a problem. Your pup is beautiful!!!

https://youtu.be/9oo6tcSxWWg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=asVQYY...ature=youtu.be
Thank you!! She definitely seems curious that's for sure. I just want to make sure I reward for curious and a little aloof rather than get to the point where she gets fearful or aggressive. So I hope I'm on the right track.
Our little dog is always supervised not only when there are bones around, but also when puppy is playing. Penny wasn't really upset that our Chi had the bone. But she would lay there and watch our Chi chew on that bone, and then look at me. Then back at our Chi, then back to me lol she definitely didn't understand why our little dog had the bone and not her 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page