Barking at other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

My 15 week old Male I got 3 weeks ago has this thing where he will bark at whatever dog he sees and certain people as well.
When he first met Lexi you'd have though she picked him up by his puppy jewels and was mauling him. And all she did was look at him. Any dog we see he barks at them like he's going to rip them limb from limb. It is quite embarrassing. We are in puppy classes and I take him out as much as I can to try and look at other dogs, but once they get anywhere near close he turns into a nut job and nothing helps.
The puppy classes aren't really seeming to help either. Once he is around the other dog for a bit he chills out but otherwords he is like a mad man.
Both his parents were well titled dogs so they didn't have any aggression or attitudes like this because they wouldn't have been able to show.
I'm wondering if I should just wait until he grows up or continue to try to expose him to other dogs and reward when he doesn't bark (they have to be a very far ways away for him not to bark like an idiot)
Any advice is appreciated Lexi was not like this at all however I did have her since she was 8 weeks old and brought her out to see things a lot.
I'm not necessarily wanting him to LOVE other dogs, but I'd like him to ignore them.
The breeder did everything else literally perfect but just didn't take him off the property besides for vet visits I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_102658_1544637081386.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	515497  

Last edited by Lexi GSD; 12-12-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:35 PM

Cute puppy! My Puppy, Cassie, is about the same age. It all sounds familiar. I held back on taking her anywhere, but to her vet, until my vet gave the okay (no neighborhood walks either). Vet suggested waiting 2 weeks after her vaccinations were complete before going out in public, so I complied.

When we went out in public with walks around my neighborhood and walks in the park, she barked a lot. Traffic noises, seeing herself in a window reflection, other dogs, people, etc. - all prompted her to bark. The first time she walked into her vet's office (instead of being carried, which was the case for her first trip) she barked so much they put us in a side room and removed us from the busy waiting room. Once she quieted down, they forgot us, until I peeked out of the room and inquired, LOL

It's slowly getting better. We are 3 weeks into walking in my neighborhood, and so far this week, she hasn't barked. She is most apt to walk at the beginning of a walk.

We started an obedience class last Sunday. There are a least 15 dogs in the class. Cassie barked a lot, when we arrived. She eventually settled down, as we worked on our assignment. During the break, we walked around some of her classmates and her barking decreased, as she and a few receptive classmates sniffed each other.

Hang in there, it does get better. In my experience, the more I continued to expose her to the things she was barking at, the less she barked. I'm still working of barking at home. When she hears neighboring dogs bark, she tends to get "her bark on" - work in progress.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Yep lol sounds about right, besides Kimber doesn't bark at anything other than dogs and the occasional human. Barking at humans is easy to fix because you just explain to them you're training and don't let them pet him until he sits and behaves.

I'm just so worried Haha because I literally take Lex my female everywhere with me even when I travel so I'd love to do with same with him. Especially seeing as my fiancee is getting stationed in Italt and we will be there soon.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
Cute puppy! My Puppy, Cassie, is about the same age. It all sounds familiar. I held back on taking her anywhere, but to her vet, until my vet gave the okay (no neighborhood walks either). Vet suggested waiting 2 weeks after her vaccinations were complete before going out in public, so I complied.

When we went out in public with walks around my neighborhood and walks in the park, she barked a lot. Traffic noises, seeing herself in a window reflection, other dogs, people, etc. - all prompted her to bark. The first time she walked into her vet's office (instead of being carried, which was the case for her first trip) she barked so much they put us in a side room and removed us from the busy waiting room. Once she quieted down, they forgot us, until I peeked out of the room and inquired, LOL

It's slowly getting better. We are 3 weeks into walking in my neighborhood, and so far this week, she hasn't barked. She is most apt to walk at the beginning of a walk.

We started an obedience class last Sunday. There are a least 15 dogs in the class. Cassie barked a lot, when we arrived. She eventually settled down, as we worked on our assignment. During the break, we walked around some of her classmates and her barking decreased, as she and a few receptive classmates sniffed each other.

Hang in there, it does get better. In my experience, the more I continued to expose her to the things she was barking at, the less she barked. I'm still working of barking at home. When she hears neighboring dogs bark, she tends to get "her bark on" - work in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Haha this same thing happened to us 🏻

Quote:
Cute puppy! The first time she walked into her vet's office (instead of being carried, which was the case for her first trip) she barked so much they put us in a side room and removed us from the busy waiting room. Once she quieted down, they forgot us, until I peeked out of the room and inquired, LOL

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi GSD View Post
The puppy classes aren't really seeming to help either. Once he is around the other dog for a bit he chills out but otherwords he is like a mad man.
What is the environment with the Puppy Class? Is it held in a small or large area, inside or outside? Is it possible to ask the instructor for a little extra help with socializing your pup during class?

Time has been flying by, my puppy is actually 5 weeks older than yours (had a brain drain moment). So, she has had a little more time to progress with socialization. She has made a lot of progress during this last month. My biggest problem with Cassie is that she is a hard sell on bite inhibition. She generally has a couple of rowdy periods a day and wants to use me as a chew toy. (even though she is getting daily walks and play time).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

It is inside in a pretty big area and the puppies aren't allowed to interact with each other we just work on commands.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi GSD View Post
What is the environment with the Puppy Class? Is it held in a small or large area, inside or outside? Is it possible to ask the instructor for a little extra help with socializing your pup during class?

Time has been flying by, my puppy is actually 5 weeks older than yours (had a brain drain moment). So, she has had a little more time to progress with socialization. She has made a lot of progress during this last month. My biggest problem with Cassie is that she is a hard sell on bite inhibition. She generally has a couple of rowdy periods a day and wants to use me as a chew toy. (even though she is getting daily walks and play time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page