6Likes
  • 1 Post By ausdland
  • 4 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By Tennessee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Expectations for a 9 months pup

Hi guys,

So I got Rex a month ago. I used treats to train him and ball.

I go to here (without treats)

decent sit - works 75% of the time

so so down - works 50% of the time

stay / wait - works 60% of the time

stop - works 75% of the time

recall is good I think - he comes back to me fairly every time

After that, we fought Giardia and he was very tired so stopped training him for a week and all above went to 50% of where we were.

Came across what I thought was a very good boarding / training Dog Trainers | Kennels & Cattery | Pet Relocation | Dog Behaviour | Pet Sitting | Ras al Khaimah | Dubai

Went and has a discussion with the trainer and owner. He showed me two GSDs trained there and they did quite a performance. I liked how the place is run and the people there. After a discussion, I signed up Rex for a two week boarding with training program. This is 2 hour away from where I live and I agreed with the trainer that I am there over the weekend to watch him being trained.

He has been there since Monday and I miss him like crazy. I am going tomorrow to spend Friday, Saturday and hopefully Sunday there. I am very excited

My question relates to expectations. What should I expect from a two week on board training as described above for a 9 months old pup? Or in general for that matter? How "good" can they get at that age? The trainer said that they want to use the time to focus on him before handing him over and training me to train him using the techniques, in order to get the most out of him first. But I think it is cool that I can get to see it "in the making" and perhaps participate some while it s happening.

Cheers and thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

Any trainer can train your dog, better yet the trainer trains you, you have to live with and train your dog. I say that from experience. My dog was boarded with a reputed trainer/breeder at that age and she understood and minded the trainer very well. Me not so much. Ultimately as an owner, you/I have to do the work. Hopefully when you go watch, you get trained and work your pup too.
Malibu likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:57 PM

75% of the time - you mean that as a once said command ("sit") or as a demand ("sit, stop eating my socks, sit, sit, sit")? are you including distractions (while focused on other dogs, cats, squirels...)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
75% of the time - you mean that as a once said command ("sit") or as a demand ("sit, stop eating my socks, sit, sit, sit")? are you including distractions (while focused on other dogs, cats, squirels...)?
75% of the time when I say sit, he sits, sometimes slowly. 25% he just circles around me. No distractions. Lunges on cats like crazy, which I am being able to curb slightly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

Good rule of thumb... don’t give a command unless you’re able to re/enforce it. Say it once and they do it or they don’t. Depending on where they are in training - you can assist them or correct them. Saying it multiple times or allowing him to circle around you is giving him the practice of doing it incorrectly. “Sometimes” is not in a dogs vocabulary...

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 PM

What’s possible with a 9month pup is near perfection, good way to burn them out if you’re doing a sport though.

But yeah as others said, if you’re training consistently the problem is your methods as he should be way more consistent than what you’re saying.

@Fodder gave great advice Never give an order you can’t enforce applies to many areas of life not just dogs.
Malibu likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:52 AM

WHAT SHOULD YOU EXPECT... that your dog misses you and probably wants to go home. there is no expectation .... As mentioned you need to be trained to know what the dog knows.... You have to understand 9 months old is a baby and as long as he is having fun learning your commands and eating treats the % that you mentioned are fine. Another 6 months and your @ 100% but that is up to you and not burning your dog out.

ENJOY that puppy and let him grow to love you and listen...

Usually no owners see their pets until training is over. It can easily set the dog back .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page