8Likes
  • 5 Post By ausdland
  • 2 Post By gsdworld7
  • 1 Post By kaydub_u

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Is my puppy too young to potty train?

Hello all!
Iím new here. I just adopted a German Shepherd (probably a mix) yesterday. The person I adopted him from said he was 13 weeks old but didnít seem to have any other information on him. She didnít know if heís even had any of his immunizations.

Anyway, for the past two days Iíve been working with him on potty training and I just donít feel like heís getting it. I take him out very often and sometimes he goes potty/poop but that seems to be coincidence more than anything. He pees in his kennel frequently and doesnít cry to be let out when he has to go. He hasnít pooped in the kennel yet. He pees and poops in the house and when I catch him I tell him no and take him outside to finish then praise/treat him for finishing outside. Is this normal behavior for a 13 week old? Iím worried he may be younger than she told me he was because when I look at pics of other 13 wk olds they look a lot bigger

Not sure how to attach a pic on this site. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Elite Member

I'd keep him contained in a crate, x pen or small room most of the time and take him out to potty after eating/drinking and every couple hours. You'll learn to read his body language when he needs to potty and take him out right away. Is his crate too big, can you divide it to make it smaller? Try not to get upset or alarm him when he has an accident in the house, he's young, he'll be able to hold it longer soon.
Jax08, dogma13, Sabis mom and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:39 AM

I know you are worried about potty training, but firstly I think you should take the puppy to a vet? You said it's unkown if he's had any vaccines - and at 13 weeks old he should be dewormed too. Maybe he's the runt of his litter, that would explain the size difference. My advice, take him to a vet just to make sure he's healthy.
Malibu and kaydub_u like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 AM

No such thing as to young to potty train....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:43 PM

May I recommend 2 things:

1. Get The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks or New Skete and follow their lead on potty training. I actually snagged the audio version from Amazon.
2. Out some type of bell at your back door.

Our guy was potty trained in 2 days (9 weeks old). He had a total of 2 accidents from that point forward.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:21 PM

I agree with everything everyone else has said. When potty training/ crate training it's good to have a crate with a divider so there is just enough space for them to stand, sleep, lay down in it comfortably. Dog's don't like to go to the bathroom where they sleep. Also the bell thing is a great idea, I did that with my puppy and he picked it up after a couple times of going outside. It can also help while you are trying to learn your pups body language, if they are ringing the bell to go outside to potty then hopefully you don't have to guess as much. A good rule to follow is always take them outside to potty after they eat and drink, play, sleep. Don't scold them for going potty in your house, it can scare them, some people who have done that have made their dog's think that you just don't want them to potty in front of you. So instead of potty training them to go outside you are making them think they need to hide from you to go potty, they may hide and go potty in your house. This can just make potty training harder. My puppy was potty trained also in 2 days, at 8 weeks. He also had about 2 accidents after that, but this was my fault. Even though he was pretty well potty trained, he needed the consistency of potty training still. So I could set him up for success. While you are training if your puppy goes potty in your house pick them up immediately and carry them to where you want to potty, even if they are still going, the second you catch them bring them to where you want them to go potty. Bring treats outside with you, right when they go potty throw a party give them treats, get them really excited and just give them lots of love and play or anything rewarding. You need to make sure you clean up really well where they have accidents, they like going back to the smell.

BUT like gsdworld7 said, your first priority needs to be taking your puppy to the vet. If you think your puppy is too small the vet can let you know. It may need to be dewormed. When I got my puppy he needed this and was underweight, after following vet's instructions he was perfectly healthy in no time. Congrats on the new family member! Cannot wait to see pictures!

On your computer you can just open the folder with the picture and click and drag it on this page where it says "DRAG FILES HERE TO ATTACH!" On the phone there is another option to attach files, also new members have to wait a few and post to be able to if I remember correctly.
gsdworld7 likes this.

Last edited by kaydub_u; 11-12-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page