5 1/2 month chased neighbor - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

5 1/2 month chased neighbor

I always walk my dog in my yard on the leash and he’s pretty well behaved however today his collar popped off (it’s a cheap petsmart one) and my neighbor was outside and he went running after her. She got inside before he could get to her but I really felt uncomfortable about that.

Now my neighbor is probably scared to death. First thing I’m doing is buying a new collar. However what ways should I teach him not to do this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:15 PM

My dogs only do this if someone is on our property. I would start by establishing where your property ends by using a long lead or an e-collar, and simply recalling him when he gets to the edge of your property.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Mei
Master Member

Work on recall. Sometimes a game called "puppy pingpong" is a good place to start. It's where you and another person stand about 25meters apart and call for the dog to come. Works best with a couple retractable leashes.

Go near a high distraction park, like a dog park. Dont go in but be right outside of it and work on "come".

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

I'd apologize to the neighbour as soon as you can, and tell her what you are doing so it won't happen again.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

Recall and a solid down.

and I'm sorry but I'm laughing at your neighbor. You do need to apologize to her. even if her reaction to a puppy running towards her was over the top. Fears aren't rational so go smooth things over.
ksotto333 and Nigel like this.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:14 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I agree. Go talk to your neighbor right away. Apologize and explain what happened. Maybe offer to let her meet your puppy. My puppy will go running towards people to, but if he got to them he would be happy and friendly.

But as Jax said, fears aren't rational. And you don't know her basis for the running.

But keeping on the good size with neighbors is important.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

Who runs from a puppy ?
crittersitter likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Who runs from a puppy ?
People have phobias, it isn't up to you or me to decide whether or not they're valid in our eyes! Apologize, and don't let it happen again...that's the first step. Next is work on obedience! The dog is fine, just strengthen your dog's obedience. And apologize SINCERELY to your neighbor!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:51 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I agree. Go talk to your neighbor right away. Apologize and explain what happened. Maybe offer to let her meet your puppy. My puppy will go running towards people to, but if he got to them he would be happy and friendly.

But as Jax said, fears aren't rational. And you don't know her basis for the running.

But keeping on the good side with neighbors is important.
I 100 % agree with that. Having neighbors love me and my dog is so important in times like when my happy puppy just runs over to say hello, like a normal happy puppy will do!

Meanwhile, start up those puppy/dog classes to socialize your pup and begin the training. Makes it so much more fun and easier. Plus, nice to know how the training is progressing and exactly what your puppy will do in any/all new situations.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post

People have phobias, it isn't up to you or me to decide whether or not they're valid in our eyes! Apologize, and don't let it happen again...that's the first step. Next is work on obedience! The dog is fine, just strengthen your dog's obedience. And apologize SINCERELY to your neighbor!
Why are you talking that way to huntergreen? He doesn't have anything to work on or apologize for.
huntergreen likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page