• 1 Post By Cees_n_Yulia
  • 1 Post By Malibu
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs
  • 1 Post By Pipper
  • 1 Post By stevreb07

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Housetraining issues

I adopted a 2 month old German Shepard / Husky, he's now about 3 1/2 months old. I work from home and am utilizing crate & umbilical training. I'm concerned because he's seems very away of the word outside, has his spots in the yard to relive and can make it most of the night in his crate without issues, but during the day he will pee right before we exit the door or of I play with him indoors he will begin to pee or defecate in front of me. I've been very dedicated to getting him outdoors at least every two hours. Is this normal or will he out grow this or should I take an alternate approach? Thanks you for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
I adopted a 2 month old German Shepard / Husky, he's now about 3 1/2 months old. I work from home and am utilizing crate & umbilical training. I'm concerned because he's seems very away of the word outside, has his spots in the yard to relive and can make it most of the night in his crate without issues, but during the day he will pee right before we exit the door or of I play with him indoors he will begin to pee or defecate in front of me. I've been very dedicated to getting him outdoors at least every two hours. Is this normal or will he out grow this or should I take an alternate approach? Thanks you for your advice.
We had it also two times, he was still 3 months old. He was in the bench and woke us up that he needed to go. We were going downstairs and i forgot something and went back up. So he decided well that's to long and pee'd inside the house, Of course this wasn't his fault.

Before he had the crate, the first two day's he slept on the ground and we kept the bathroom door open and everytime he would pee under the shower. No idea where he got that from .

But when he started to pee or poop inside the house i grabbed him and carried him gently outside and praised him for continueing outside. After 48 hours he kinda figured out that he should do his business outside and has never done it inside the house excluding the two times we didn't opened up the door after he woke up. But now at month 4 he can wait beyond that. But i guess every dog has there own quirck and difficulty's to learn.
Malibu likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Do you give him a NO !! when he potties in the house..

Do you scoop him up and take him where he is suppose to go.

Do you praise him for POTTY OUTSIDE and treats.

He just needs to learn the rules. Keep him in sight at all times
stevreb07 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
he's now about 3 1/2 months old. I work from home I've been very dedicated to getting him outdoors at least every two hours.

Hi Tidus and WELCOME!
This little guy needs to go outside about every 15-20 minutes if he is not crated for success. He's still a baby.

1 or 2 hours is WAY too long for him to wait.

Moms
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 03:05 AM

A puppy can hold the potty break about one hour per every month of age (so a three month old puppy can wait three hours to pee). Make sure he has finished his business outsides before sleep time. Then a puppy can sleep in the crate for a whole night because the crate offers him a shelter to sleep. However, once he wakes up, it's better to take him outsides to release the pee and poo. Offer treats when he works well. Repeat it for several days, he would build this habit gradually. A 4-month-age puppy has high senses to the social environment, so it is a golden period to teach him how to socialize with other canines or strangers gently. It's advisable to start obedience training, so as to hear your commands when you go outsides with him (such as dog-friendly stores, parks, beaches, and restaurants.
stevreb07 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:48 PM

I have potty trained my last three puppies inside of two weeks, one of them was a standard poodle and the other two GSD, I also work from home. The key is to dedicate that first week or two to just being with the pup, I know it's not always feasible but if you get to know the baby and his or her little body schedule you can work with them, you will have a few accidents. Always remember at this age, take them out at least every hour, use your potty word, if the pup pees or poops outside, huge praise....make a big deal, treats or playtime, kisses and affection. If an accident occurs, scoop them up with a no and go outside, if they finish outside make a BIG deal. Consistency will help you in the first few weeks, once they have it they will have it. It won't last forever, they grow so fast, it's easy peasy! Crating will help, cutting off water at a certain time at night will help but you will still have to get up a few times though the night for a month or two.
Malibu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page