Essentials Do's & Don't with our new 1 yr old male GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Essentials Do's & Don't with our new 1 yr old male GSD

Hi everyone,
We are bringing our new GSD home in a few weeks (once we are all moved in to our new home) and I just want to get some input on the do's and don't when we bring him home, more specifically the first few days.

We are getting our boy Griffin (he will be 1 year a few days before we bring him home) from Carissima Kennels and he has had some training with Rob & Michelle the breeders. We have been (Myself, hubby & kids) out to see him numerous times and he is well socialized with other dogs, people, kids etc. I will enroll us in obedience training and the breeders also offer obedience training and bite training on Sunday mornings from 9:30-11am. I'm not sure about doing the bite work though? We bought him an XXL crate for him to sleep and for him to be in when we need to go out somewhere. We will keep him on the same food as the breeders have him on. I have some GSD experience but it's been awhile and now we have 3 young children (8, 6 and 2 1/2) so I want to make sure we all get off on the right foot.

Any recommendations, advice and tips are very much appreciated. I just want Griffin to love his new home and for the transition to be as smooth as possible.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM

Hi and congrats on your new family member! You and your family must be very excited. It sounds like you are prepared for him. I would say for the first few days just let him acclimate to his new home. Make sure he knows the crate is his space and that its a positive space for him to rest. Im sure you already have toys and food so just get him on whatever routine you have planned and stick with it. I would make sure the kids know how to respect him and all to avoid any issues even though you said he is friendly with kids. Once he seems adjusted then it would be a good time to ramp up the training. Got any pics of your new boy?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:15 PM

If Griffin is not use to a crate it will take more than a few days to adjust to everything. Just be patient and try to get everyone on the same page. Do what he likes and just let him adjust to everything and everyone. Training can take place when you feel he is adjusted and enjoying his new home. As far as the bite work I personally feel no need for that if he is just a family pet but it depends what you want. I have owned 8 GSD's and several of them may have actually held the flashlight for an intruder but anyone with the guts to walk into a home or yard with a GSD barking at them must really want to get in bad..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 06:08 PM

I would be really low key with him as you all acclimate to each other.Establish a routine of play and rest periods.It's a good idea to feed him in his crate away from the kiddos.No hugging,grabbing at him,or snatching anything away from him.As you get a good feel for his temperament and tolerance levels you may want to relax the rules a bit.Supervise visiting children closely!
He sounds like a great family dog in the making

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you MMags. I have a few pics. One with the breeder and one with my oldest son as we were walking around with him. Sorry I can't figure out how to turn them upright.
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
Hi and congrats on your new family member! You and your family must be very excited. It sounds like you are prepared for him. I would say for the first few days just let him acclimate to his new home. Make sure he knows the crate is his space and that its a positive space for him to rest. Im sure you already have toys and food so just get him on whatever routine you have planned and stick with it. I would make sure the kids know how to respect him and all to avoid any issues even though you said he is friendly with kids. Once he seems adjusted then it would be a good time to ramp up the training. Got any pics of your new boy?
Here is Griffin but I can't put pic upright? Thank you for your advice.
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I would be really low key with him as you all acclimate to each other.Establish a routine of play and rest periods.It's a good idea to feed him in his crate away from the kiddos.No hugging,grabbing at him,or snatching anything away from him.As you get a good feel for his temperament and tolerance levels you may want to relax the rules a bit.Supervise visiting children closely!
He sounds like a great family dog in the making
Thank you Dogma13 for your advice. My kids are used to be around dogs and are respectful of them but our 2 1/2 yr old, I will monitor closely. She loves dogs and there is a friendly Golden Retriever at her daycare. However, Griffin will need to get used to us and vice-versa so I will watch ALL 3 kids closely around him. I will also feed him in his crate, supervise visiting children closely but I think I will keep visitors to a minimum for awhile until he is used to us.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
If Griffin is not use to a crate it will take more than a few days to adjust to everything. Just be patient and try to get everyone on the same page. Do what he likes and just let him adjust to everything and everyone. Training can take place when you feel he is adjusted and enjoying his new home. As far as the bite work I personally feel no need for that if he is just a family pet but it depends what you want. I have owned 8 GSD's and several of them may have actually held the flashlight for an intruder but anyone with the guts to walk into a home or yard with a GSD barking at them must really want to get in bad..

Hi Malibu,
I laughed so hard when I read this I have owned 8 GSD's and several of them may have actually held the flashlight for an intruder but anyone with the guts to walk into a home or yard with a GSD barking at them must really want to get in bad..
LOL!!!! Thank you for your input. I will give him a few days to get used to us and our house before we start training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page