What I wish I knew while training my puppy. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Apex1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

What I wish I knew while training my puppy.

I've been training my puppy for about a month and am always learning new techniques from this forum or blog posts/articles/videos by trainers.
The issue I have with watching videos is that a lot of what is common sense to a professional trainer may not be for the layman that is training with their first working dog; and therefore a proper explanation is not always relayed to the viewer.

I'll watch a video multiple times to first learn the training method, then to watch the dog's behavior(s), and finally to watch the trainer's behavior.

While training many times I feel afraid that I may be overlooking some aspects of her training, missing a behavior she offers herself, or simply not making training fun enough.

• What are some tips or methods you wish you knew while training your pup?
  • What are some behaviors that you have picked up on that help you train your puppy better?

In this article (Three of the World’s Top Trainers Share the One Thing They Wish You Knew About Training Your Dog) there is some great info that I've seen practiced in videos but not always picked up by a novice trainer.
In this article the essential techniques are emphasized and spelled out. I find these tips for the handler to be of vital importance to carry out in each training session.

Training Your Dog Should Be Easy and Fun

Is It Punishment … Or Harassment and Abuse?

Socialization Is Crucial to Normal Brain Development in Puppies

Classical Conditioning Is a Quick and Easy Way to Begin Training Your Dog

The Key to a Good Training Class: The Dogs Have a Good Time Getting Trained

The First Thing You Should Do With Your New Puppy or Dog Is …

Playtime Is a Great Relationship Builder

Encouraging a Reluctant Rescue Dog to Play

Finding a Positive Dog Trainer

How and When to Use Your Dog’s Name as a Relationship-Builder

When Praising Your Dog, Be Specific

If You Allow It, Your Dog Can Teach You to Be Present in the Moment

Pay Attention to What Your Dog Is Doing Right and Acknowledge It
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Master Member

I wish Engagement Unleashed was out and I knew about the Collared Scholar when my dog was a puppy. I am slowly working thru the program best money spent this far. I think it's great for even just a pet person who wants to have good fun and learn about what makes their dog tick and how to use that ticking for teaching. You dont have to be a sports enthusiast. The program has really helped me connect some dots I was missing. I cannot praise the program enough.
car2ner and tim_s_adams like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I was looking at the Collared Scholar website just yesterday night but never came across the "Engagement Unleashed" course.
After going back and searching I'm still unable to navigate to it so here is the link for those who are interested: Engagement Unleashed - Collared Scholar.

• Build value for food rewards and advanced food games you can play to boost motivation.
  • Build value for toy rewards, increase drive, motivation and energy.
  • Techniques for Safe Toy Play
  • Marker training and improving clarity in your work
  • Personal play to build motivation
  • How to teach toy grip, how to get your dog to drive, and how to teach your dog to OUT the toy
  • Drive building for dog sports and performance
  • Incorporating rewards into your routines
  • How to fade your rewards and get your training ring ready

You'll get access to:
  • Engaged Tug Play Video Course
  • Playign with Your Food Video Course
  • 8 Weeks to Engagement (8 Week Video Course)
  • The Drivey Dog: Understanding Drives for Competitive Dog Sports (Taught Live)
  • Impulse Control for Drive Sports (Taught Live)
  • 90 Second Engagement Games
  • Monthly Live Q&As

Learning your puppy's innate interests and drive is definitely the key to successfully training your puppy while enjoying it together.
I am working on engagement everyday with my puppy, I wonder what I'm missing that is in the 8 week video course.

I'm going through Dave Kroyer at the moment and I guess it comes down to teaching styles. Dave is an expert at training and I've successfully implemented all his methods but I have watched some Youtube channels that are better at explaining some concepts. D. Kroyer usually makes up for it by including a sample video of him actually training which really helps to get a complete understanding.

I'll try to find some of the Collared Scholar sample videos to observe her teaching style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:47 PM

I'm on my 5th German Shepherd and even this time around I'm still learning stuff. A few things I just picked up on this go around:

Don't make feeding time about feeding. Make feeding time about obedience. My dog does not eat without performing some sort of obedience training. This has definitely made her very obedient. I prepare her food, do some gesture eating, and then do some obedience with her before I put the food down (early days) or before I give her the command she can take her food (now). At first it was things like sit and lay down. Then it was take it or leave it. Eating gentle from my hands (so she could learn to take treats easier without biting off fingers as well as to avoid food protectiveness) , and now we have moved onto prolonged stays of a minute or two. If she acts up like jumping, barking, or misbehaving, the bowl goes back onto the counter and we try again in 5 minutes. After 15 minutes I was told to skip a meal but my pup has never gotten that far. Prior to this, feeding time was feeding time. Never realized how much opportunity my family was missing by just putting the bowl down for them to eat. All of her training has started at the food dish. And she is extremely obedient now.

A Front hook harness helps with walking. You attach the leash to the front of the harness instead of the back or the collar. When the dogs try to lunge or pull, by nature, the harness causes their body to twist and they are unable to pull much. I have a 5 month old pup that hardly ever pulls on the harness thanks to this simple tool. Not sure how well it's going to work when she's an adult but we are already working on leash training so I'm hoping I won't even need to prong collar her.

And this I learned the hard way previously but socialization is a major part. Even before they are fully vaccinated. You have a brief time frame up to about 6 months and even sooner that they need to be exposed to a lot of people, a good variation of dogs, and a good variation of scenarios (like swimming if you want them to not be afraid of water) I had a rule where my dog had to meet 15 people a day. From having previous dogs with big protectiveness issues and aggressiveness, I now have a confident pup who does not lash out at any dogs or people and loves to meet new dogs and people without a hint of aggressiveness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page