11 week Old Shepherd/Rottie. Long Post, Questions. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunsilver
  • 1 Post By middleofnowhere
  • 1 Post By Dylan Pipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

11 week Old Shepherd/Rottie. Long Post, Questions.

Good Morning all,

Recently I got my first puppy, I've had two other GSD's, one a full breed and the other a classic GSD mix, but they both died this past August, being 12 and 16 respectively. I got them when they were both about 6-8 months old. So after that, I was a bit sad without having dogs around and whatnot, so I stumbled across this lady who was getting rid of puppies because her dog accidentally got pregnant and she couldn't keep all the pups.

Mom was good size rottweiler and dad was a pretty good sized GSD, my girlfriend and I got our girl Storm, at 9 weeks old. She's super cute, pretty friendly and really looks like the first dog I had the mix.

But I have a few training questions, as I've read a lot of articles and many say varying things I wanted to maybes get a more solid answer.

She has learned sit, she is super good with kids and strangers coming to the house. She doesn't nip the kids at all, but will jump on adults being happy but not nipping per say. I try to tell her to sit when she gets overly excited, and sometimes she will sit and relax. She is slowly starting to understand down when no one is around.

But, she really enjoys to bite me and my girlfriend at night(after she gets home from work) I have a few weeks off of work, which worked out quite well with getting the puppy. I notice she seems like she will bite us when she is overly excited or when I take a sock out of her mouth or deter her from going somewhere she shouldn't be. We tried the "ouch" and turn out backs but that never seemed to work, just getting bitten at the ankles with our backs turned. We have tried to do a timeout, but it seems like she is usually madder when I get her from the timeout and just continues to bite, often harder. It seems when she gets in these biting fits, she has a really hard time getting out of them, I will redirect with a toy she likes in her mouth but often she will just drop it and come attack whoever is close by. I've tried to grab the scruff of the neck, but that also seems to just aggravate her more. Thankfully this isn't all day, and just bits of the evening but I still really want to get ahold of it because my hands and arms are getting destroyed and my girlfriend is getting discouraged because she comes home to the puppy seemingly just biting once she gets home.
When we go for a walk during this time, it will sometimes help and she will get distracted but sometimes she will just attack the leash and then just lunge at my ankles or my girlfriend who is next to her. But other walks she won't nip or bite at all, just when she is in that mood. Which sometimes can last a while.

I'm not sure if she is getting overtired and this is her way of trying to tell us to like put her to bed or leave her alone. Because she will let us pet her when she's eating or at any other time, so she like doesn't mind being touched or whatnot. She is also super smart I think, she can find her ball literally anywhere in the house, wherever I hide it. Which is sometimes what I will do when she's in a biting fit, but it seems like much doesn't stop her until she just gets tired and lies down.

We go for a good 20-minute walk in the morning around 630, which we don't walk too far because she is often busy licking all the water off the grass which can be slightly annoying but whatever. We usually walk a football field and back approximately. Then shell hangs out for a bit, then well put her in the crate when I bring GF to work she will sleep for like 2 hours in there, usually let her out around 10, we hang out in the living room. Go out pee. Usually do some sit, down, stay and hide the ball for her for about 20 minutes. Then have lunch, wait for 10, go out and play in the backyard or go for a walk about 100 yards. Come in and hang out in the living room. Then go out pee, then she either goes in her crate when I pick the GF up or she will come in the car in the crate and we will walk around work for 10-15, then go back home. Hang out at home with me and gf, go outside and play or walk. Then come in, and most likely biting will occur for 20-30 or whatever. It will happen during the day sometimes but more noticeable at nights.

Feeding her about 1 cup per meal of taste of the wild salmon and about 1/2 cup of water with food.

Signing up for a puppy class in the near future.

She has 2 sets of shots in her.

Rambling for sure, but just super curious and haven't really asked anyone yet just been searching the web.

Thanks, guys.

Hopefully that wasnt too generic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woof2 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	511711  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

What a cute girl! Welcome to puppyhood with a mix of two high energy, high drive breeds!

When you get home, after being away all day, your puppy just wants to engage with you, play with you, as she would her litter mates. Toys have no interest to her unless they are moving. I would suggest getting a flirt pole or some sort of tug, and using that to play with her until she is tired.

Dogs don't understand 'time outs'. They do nothing to drain their energy and need to engage and play.

Here's a video of my female's breeder working my puppy with the flirt pole. You need to avoid sudden changes of direction, and letting the puppy jump, to avoid harming its growing joints.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Elite Member

Link to a similar thread, with some good suggestions!

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ld-female.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
What a cute girl! Welcome to puppyhood with a mix of two high energy, high drive breeds!

When you get home, after being away all day, your puppy just wants to engage with you, play with you, as she would her litter mates. Toys have no interest to her unless they are moving. I would suggest getting a flirt pole or some sort of tug, and using that to play with her until she is tired.

Dogs don't understand 'time outs'. They do nothing to drain their energy and need to engage and play.

Here's a video of my female's breeder working my puppy with the flirt pole. You need to avoid sudden changes of direction, and letting the puppy jump, to avoid harming its growing joints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3LzXY3v2es
Cool, we have a tug rope that she will play with often.

I am home for most of the day, but I understand her getting excited for a bit when "mommy" comes home, but I understand what you are saying.

And okay I figured they wouldn't understand timeouts, just saw a few people say they worked
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

Timeouts do have their uses, for instance, when a family is too busy to watch the puppy and keep it from getting into mischief (preparing dinner, etc.). Puppies do get tired and cranky like human toddlers, too, so that's a good time to crate them. But crating a puppy that is full of energy, and just needs to play is only going to frustrate it and make things worse.

There are some excellent suggestions in the thread I linked to. Please read the whole thing! Different things work for different puppies. They are not all the same.

Oh, and just wanted to point out that saying 'ouch' is only going to make things worse! It triggers the pup's prey drive: prey squeaks when they bite it, which just makes them escalate the attack. That's why dog toys SQUEAK!

Movement triggers prey drive too, so just passively shoving a toy in a pup's mouth isn't going to help prevent biting. You are a lot more fun than a stationary toy!
Dylan Pipe likes this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 09-18-2018 at 11:33 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Crowned Member

Ok to set up a routine to burn some energy but I'd stop when the pup still has plenty of "go" in her. My experience with "ouch" differs from SS - it didn't seem to amp my pups up -- but I'm a fan of "bite this, not me" - which involves engaging with a toy (not "stuff a toy in the dogs mouth", not just handing off a toy). Jumping up? Yeah, right. I had one dog that knees didn't work with, nothing much worked with, an alternative command did work except for with her favorite people with whom age finally worked. When she got to be about 4.....

But bottom line, What a cute puppy! (yeah OK so all puppies are cute - this one too) I can see the GSD in that face. Enjoy her.

BTW sometimes I think we ask for trouble with the names we choose for puppies....
Dylan Pipe likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Timeouts do have their uses, for instance, when a family is too busy to watch the puppy and keep it from getting into mischief (preparing dinner, etc.). Puppies do get tired and cranky like human toddlers, too, so that's a good time to crate them. But crating a puppy that is full of energy, and just needs to play is only going to frustrate it and make things worse.

There are some excellent suggestions in the thread I linked to. Please read the whole thing! Different things work for different puppies. They are not all the same.

Oh, and just wanted to point out that saying 'ouch' is only going to make things worse! It triggers the pup's prey drive: prey squeaks when they bite it, which just makes them escalate the attack. That's why dog toys SQUEAK!

Movement triggers prey drive too, so just passively shoving a toy in a pup's mouth isn't going to help prevent biting. You are a lot more fun than a stationary toy!
I have been trying to avoid using the crate as punishment at all, in hopes that it will remain her sleep spot and whatnot.

I agree that the ouch technique only makes things worse.

Im halway through that thread, very informative and sounds similar to our lil girl.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

Not saying to used it as punishment. But when you don't have time to watch her, or she's underfoot, and liable to be stepped on or tripped over, or if she seems tired and cranky/overstimuated, I would crate her with a stuffed Kong, or something else to keep her busy (favourite chew toy, etc.)

She's safer in the crate than chewing on the computer wires, or your favourite chair, and peeing on the living room rug
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I agree that she's safer in the crate than chewing wires, she does go in there often when we are cooking dinner or whatnot. She is still super vocal and cries a lot when she's in there and we are in the house, but when I put her in to leave or sleep for the night shes okay. Assuming that's her way of being like hey I wanna be with you guys, but we just listen to her whine and do our thing.
Sunsilver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page