Finding the right training method.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Finding the right training method..

I'm trying to figure out the best method on training Shema.
She is a bit more stubborn than any GSD, or any other dog for that matter, when it comes to listening.

She continuously barks at everything, and won't stop. I know guarding/protecting is a GSD trait. I don't want to totally take that away, I just want her to stop when I tell her it's OK or enough. But she is so focused on whatever it is, that she doesn't even pay attention to anything else.

She is incredibly hyperactive, imagine the energizer bunny X 200. No joke.

Because of the hyperactivity, I have a hard time getting her to focus when trying to teach basic commands. She knows sit, but wont do it unless there is a treat, or toy involved. Which is fine but I want her to be able to do so without a reward all the time.

I know she is smart, and I know she gets it. But she is super stubborn and a bit to hyperactive. I need to figure out the best way to get her attention and to focus.
I also know she is still a young pup (3 months in 3 days) But from past experience and seeing so many other people with GSD puppies having a better acting pup at this age, I know it's possible, and I know she can do it. I just can't seem to get her to 'obey' on my own.

I do not believe in physical punishment or e collars. I have always done positive reinforcement and have had success, but it isn't working with her.

I've never used a dog trainer or gone to classes, but I'm considering looking into them for her.
I live in the Fort Worth, TX area. If anyone knows of a good, not so expensive, trainer/classes that they could recommend, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Also, any tips would be appreciated!

Shema-- EDOB:6/20/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

Find a trainer. Your dog isnt bad. Just sounds like you need help conveying the message. You can also look at the collared scholar or mike Ritland online. They both encourage engagement

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Smart does not equal biddable. More often just the opposite.

Find a trainer who believes in balanced training. Work with the dog you have and lose the idea of methods. I personally cringe when I see super well behaved puppies, they're puppies. They should be adventurous, curious and a bit bad. They are supposed to be getting into trouble as they explore and learn. Personally I think my job for the first few months at least is to keep them from killing themselves, to minimize damage and let them grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Knighted Member

Not quite 12 wks? She's not being stubborn, she's being a puppy! IMHO the true art involved in training is to lead the puppy into offering the behaviors you want, while letting them think it's their idea! Training at this age should be indistinguishable, and integrated into, play...because puppies LOVE to play and explore! Burn off some of her energy before asking her for any focus, then truly engage her by making it all fun and rewarding! She is still a baby after all!
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Burning her energy doesn't work.. She gets TONS of play, walks ect... she still keeps going. There is literally no end to it. Which is why I need help I guess. I need to find her "off switch"

I get she is a puppy, I get a lot of it is just puppy issues.

I'm probably expecting to much, and I realized it after I had made the post.

What is a balanced trainer?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Master Member

I am raising my first GSD now 19 months.
As a puppy my god was his energy endless. What I later came to find out was that we were fueling his endless energy. We kept him so busy he never napped but passed out cold every night at 7. Much like a baby or toddler he was over tired! We are always home. Our off switch appeared idk 9 months or later lol. He is now very chill in the house. Thankfully
I'm my opinion keep up the food keep up the toys. I second the Collared Scholar I wish I had found it when my dog was a puppy! Spend some time training place in the house.

I have a smart dog too....not so sure if he is biddable lol
Sabis mom likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShemaShepherd View Post
Burning her energy doesn't work.. She gets TONS of play, walks ect... she still keeps going. There is literally no end to it. Which is why I need help I guess. I need to find her "off switch"
Some puppies need to be taught what an "off switch" means LOL! But it usually gets better with age too, and like Apex1 said, ample nap time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShemaShepherd View Post
What is a balanced trainer?
A balanced trainer is one who uses a combination of positive reinforcement and positive punishment or corrections when appropriate. The "balance" should be heavily weighted toward positive reinforcement, around 95%/5% respectively.
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

@Tim thank you for explaining! I will look and see if I can find one near me.

@apex I don't think she is over tired. Whenever I'm not physically interacting or watching her, she is in her puppy pen. So she does get plenty of down time to. But soon as that pen is opened, she bolts and it's like a streak of light blazing through the house. I've been working on her to stay/wait. She does try, I can tell she wants to listen. She'll sit and you can literally see the energy rippling through her body. But the moment the pen door cracks open, all concentration is gone an she bolts -_-

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM
Elite Member

Your attitude to your pup is important. Don't take puppy behaviour personally, shrug off any frustration and upset emotions and remember to enjoy your dog. You have my sincere empathy, raising a puppy is character building :-D
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
Your attitude to your pup is important. Don't take puppy behaviour personally, shrug off any frustration and upset emotions and remember to enjoy your dog. You have my sincere empathy, raising a puppy is character building :-D

That it definitely is lol

I'm pretty good with keeping my emotions in check, always have been. I honestly don't even get mad, ask my husband he has tried in the 10yrs we have been together to see what I'm like when mad. Hasn't happened yet lol.

When I feel I get frustrated with the craziness, I put her in her pen to give us both a break and leave it be. I try to keep it fun for her to get her to WANT to focus on me and stuff.

I'm home basically 24/7, only gone when I'm at dialysis, so i have all the time in the world to work with her.

I think I found a good class, but I have to wait till she gets her 2nd round of shots to enroll her. So gunna do what I can till then. She gets them on Oct 7th.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page