Potty command - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder
  • 2 Post By middleofnowhere

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Potty command

My girl is about 6 1/2 months old. She has gotten into the habit of doing everything, but going potty when I take her out to the yard. We have a bell on the door that she rings when she wants to go out and she definitely abuses it. Sometimes it's like 3 times in a half hour, but no pottying. We never established a potty command with her. Is it too late? Would that even help? She just wants to eat rabbit poop, play with sticks, and chase bugs. It's driving me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 12:45 AM
Crowned Member

Ditch the bell. Take her out on leash when she’s most likely to go... begin saying chosen command as she’s going, slowly backing off until you can say it before she goes. She goes, praise! (or unleash, etc, whatever you want her reward to be). If she doesn’t go, crate her then try again later.

Not too late at all.
She’s playing you.... and you’ve let her, lol
tim_s_adams likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:36 PM

Never too late 🙂 My girl is 7 months now and even though she has been potty trained for ages I still say "Go Potty" when I want her to go quickly, especially late before bed when I just want her to go and then come straight back inside. I trained her by taking her out always on her leash only so I could make sure I had control over what she was doing, taking her to the grass and saying "Go Potty" and rewarding her verbally when she did it, every time. If she would try to go and do something else or grab a stick I would correct her, tell her no and tell her to potty again. She understood no fun before going potty!

My girl also occasionally tried her luck wanting to get outside by perhaps tricking me into thinking she needed to relieve herself, she would bark once and stand at the garden door (her sign she needs to go), but then she would just run and grab a stick! I corrected this by again using the leash, saying "go potty" and if she didn't go in a reasonable time I would take her straight back inside. I think she understands potty time and play time are different now, and she gets no fun by pretending she needs to pee! Hope that helps 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

I blew it on toilet commands. The one for urination is the same for both dogs but the defecation one is different for each. I think it is the part of the William tell Overture from the Lone Ranger theme - to the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump - for the older dog. The youngster got sorta Betty Boop --- as in poop a doop, poop poop poop a doop. Haven't been taken in just yet but I try to be discrete in my mixed up song fest.
dogma13 and car2ner like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 01:31 AM
Master Member

The point of the bell is for her to GO POTTY and it looks like she's abusing that, so yeah, ditch the bell. Have her on a leash whenever it's time for potty. And as she is peeing and pooping, praise her on the spot. Praise her after too. Make it a party everytime she goes potty on the leash.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 AM

I never taught the bell for that reason. I'll say let's go outside to "go potty" to indicate it'll just be a short trip into the yard. I also said "go pee" as she pee'd and repeated "poop" every time she plopped one out. Profuse praise. So, she knows these commands and will at least give them a go (har har) when asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page