Training treats - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Training treats

Hey all, Just wanted to get an idea of some of the treats your pups seem to like the most. Im going to be feeding him his meals during training sessions so these would just be for smaller sessions and when hes being a very good boy lol... I see a lot of people are using the Natures Balance rolls and Stewart freeze dried liver treats.. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Don't know about the two you mentioned, but my 9 week-old pup loves Full Moon Duck-flavored Training Treats. They look like tiny little sausage bits and admittedly smell delicious... he seems to love them but only gets them as a high-value treat when he does something really awesome. He also enjoys Cloud Star's Tricky Trainers Cheddar Flavor, which smell like mac n' cheese. Not sure why all of his favorite treats smell yummy to me.

Other than that, we give him kibble (Orijen Large Breed Puppy) as quick treats and he enjoys that also.

Last edited by Storms; 09-05-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

We use liver treats (don't remember the brand), cheese, hot dogs (diced into tiny pieces), or cut up chicken (rotisserie chickens from the grocery store, skin removed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

Stewart's looks like a good product! Site Quote: "All of the ingredients used in the production of Stewart® Raw Naturals™ are inspected and certified for human consumption."

Here is another new thread about treats that you may get some ideas from :
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ml#post9106485

Also: String cheese sticks and Colby Jack cheese sticks cut up!

Moms
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

Cut up food roll, cheese sticks, boiled chicken, hot dogs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! Seems like cheese and hotdogs are the winners, which i didn't think was very good for them, but I guess in such small amounts it cant hurt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:57 AM

In addition to cheese sticks and hotdogs, I’ve had luck with Happy Howies meat rolls and Tricky Trainers treats. I’ve also used the Redbarn rolls, but they are often a bit crumblier on cutting and in the pocket and seem to have less value than the others. Haven’t had a chance to use the Natural balance one yet.

Rose
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Knighted Member

Turkey pepperoni, roast beef cut into small pieces, Cloudstar, Merrick rabbit flavored. I used to use Wellness Wellbites but I prefer something that's already the "right" size and I can just pop it in her mouth instead of breaking it up as I go.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:10 AM
Master Member

I use soft ones. Mine likes Crazy Dog Train Me on Amazon. It smells but probably why he likes it so much. I also use shredded chicken or cheese cubes sometimes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Formal training is cut up FreshPet, but for more casual rewards I currently use Pet Botanicals Training Treats. I get them at Petco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page