Potty training... are accidents necessary? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By kimbale
  • 2 Post By middleofnowhere

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Potty training... are accidents necessary?

Hi everyone. I just got my 8.5 week old puppy from his breeder on Saturday, and he has been adjusting slowly to his new life here. We started potty and crate training right away from day one. He is being taken outside about once every other hour or so unless he's eaten or drank a lot.

He has thankfully not has any accidents in the house yet, but I'm wondering, are accidents necessary for him to learn where *not* to go? We've been praising him like crazy when he potties outside, and he seems to be catching on that outside is for potty (he goes relatively quickly once we step outside in the grass.) I just worry that he doesn't know that inside is potty-prohibited since he's only done so outside thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

No. they are not "necessary". they will happen but please don't set it up to happen. Some puppies are just very clean and housebreak easily.
Aly, Sabis mom, Katsugsd and 1 others like this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Master Member

Nope! Not necessary at all. My current 1 1/2 year old was a great pup to potty train. He had one accident inside and I didn't catch him, so he didn't even get corrected. He is wonderfully housebroken.

Consistency is far more important. I would take him to the same spot outside. We would go outside every 15-20 minutes while he was active inside and 15 minutes after a nap or eating/drinking. It was a bit excessive, but he caught on and has never had an accident other than that one time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sabis mom likes this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

No accidents required. And until pup #5 arrived I would have agreed that house training is easy. So if this is your first pup, you have four more to go before hitting "darned near impossible."
Sabis mom and Katsugsd like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your help. Since I posted yesterday, he has had two accidents in the house (I think I jinxed it, lol.)

The first time was about 10 minutes before I planned to take him outside. He had a lot of water and wasn't able to hold it, which was my fault. I should've been better at keeping how much he drank in mind. The second time was unexpected and about half an hour after we took him outside. He pooped. I caught him mid-poop on the carpet, quickly picked him up and took him outside. He then finished his poop in the grass, around the same spot he usually potties. I praised him like crazy when he finished outside.

I'll try harder to be more consistent to minimize accidents and am hoping he catches on quickly.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Sounds like you're handling it like you're supposed to! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page