Potty training. Frequent accident inside crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 54
Potty training. Frequent accident inside crate

Hi all. Need your advice. It's actually getting frustrating that my soon to be 7 months old puppy is not even close to being potty trained yet.

I'm crate training him and I can say that the crate size is big/small enough for him to be potty trained. No stool issue as well. The way I see it, it's more about his potty break schedule.

I feed him at 6am. As I go to work, our helper feeds him small amount at 12 noon (I'm slowly transitioning him to 2x a day feeding from 3x a day). Then I feed him again at 8pm.

Accidents happen after the 8pm feeding (between 1:00 to 5:00 I think). I however bring him out from 8:15pm to 11:30pm for potty break but often bring him back to his crate without pooping. The 15mins after feeding potty schedule just doesnt work for him.

Now if you'll ask why 8pm, it is because that's the time I usually arrive home and I want to take the opportunity of using his night ration for OB training (though I also train him every morning).

If you're in my position how would you go about this? Would you 1) simply wake up between the early hours of 1 to 5am and bring him to potty breaks, or 2)feed him at around 5pm (by our helper) cut the OB training and do it only in the morning so I could have more window of opportunity to bring him to potty breaks? Any other options?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Beibitoi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Master Member
 
Pytheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 918
Feed him earlier. Can you train him with toys in the evening instead? Can you use small training treats (and not as many as you would with a meal) to train when you get home? The training is important, so if possible, that should stick around.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Pytheis is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
Feed him earlier. Can you train him with toys in the evening instead? Can you use small training treats (and not as many as you would with a meal) to train when you get home? The training is important, so if possible, that should stick around.
Toys and smaller treats! Why didn't I think of that! Yes, I can do that. Thank you!

Hopefully he'll be as motivated as when he is hungry though. But if I give him say additional 20 pieces kibbles, won't it cause him to go potty again (though for a lesser amount) anyway?

Will make use of toys and use his good ball drive. Just can't use it in some part of the routine.

Thanks for the ideas!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Beibitoi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 100
Is your dog having separation anxiety issues? You didn't say what time you leave to work but I presume if you're getting up at 6 AM, you're leaving for work around 8 AM and therefore spending about 12 hours out of the house on top of the crate time the dog has overnight? Even with a helper coming, how long does the pup get out? That's a lot of crate time. Your pup may become incontinent through anxiety. Meaning we can give all types of advice, but the core issue isn't being addressed.


Could you set up a camera to observe his behavior while you're gone?

5 GSDs and I've had maybe a handful of crate accidents, mostly due to exigent circumstances causing extended crate time. It seems to naturally be an absolute last resort for them as long as their crate isn't too big. It is definitely not normal for them to be going in their crate regularly. But I've heard of dogs with severe anxiety issues becoming incontinent easily.
Mudypoz likes this.
Dutchy is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Is your dog having separation anxiety issues? You didn't say what time you leave to work but I presume if you're getting up at 6 AM, you're leaving for work around 8 AM and therefore spending about 12 hours out of the house on top of the crate time the dog has overnight? Even with a helper coming, how long does the pup get out? That's a lot of crate time. Your pup may become incontinent through anxiety. Meaning we can give all types of advice, but the core issue isn't being addressed.


Could you set up a camera to observe his behavior while you're gone?

5 GSDs and I've had maybe a handful of crate accidents, mostly due to exigent circumstances causing extended crate time. It seems to naturally be an absolute last resort for them as long as their crate isn't too big. It is definitely not normal for them to be going in their crate regularly. But I've heard of dogs with severe anxiety issues becoming incontinent easily.
Hi Dutchy,

You're right, I leave home at around 7 or 8am. Our helper brings him out every 2 hours. Everytime he goes potty, he gets to play in our fenced yard for about an hour. By next week, we might transition his breaks to intervals of 2.5 hours. I don't think he's having anxiety issues. The accident seem to have been caused more by his potty schedule.

Do you mean, a camera inside his crate?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Beibitoi is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Master Member
 
McGloomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 671
I think what Dutchy meant is setting up a camera outside the crate that can monitor his behaviour between that 'accident' time window. I have an acquaintance who did that. He found out that between 2-4am he started going around and that's when the accidents happen. He did that for a week and then took it from there. Don't set up a camera inside a crate............... That's some serious safety hazards
McGloomy is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Master Member
 
Pytheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beibitoi View Post
But if I give him say additional 20 pieces kibbles, won't it cause him to go potty again (though for a lesser amount) anyway?
Not sure. I think it depends on the dog, so you'll have to experiment. My puppy wouldn't have gone again after only a few pieces like that, but I always made sure he was freshly pooped right before bedtime.

If he only has a small amount to go after some treats, it would make sense for him to hold it vs. really having to go after a big meal.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Pytheis is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
Not sure. I think it depends on the dog, so you'll have to experiment. My puppy wouldn't have gone again after only a few pieces like that, but I always made sure he was freshly pooped right before bedtime.

If he only has a small amount to go after some treats, it would make sense for him to hold it vs. really having to go after a big meal.
So I asked the helper to feed him at 5pm today. When I got home at 9:30 I immediately brought him to his potty area and there he instantly pooped. I asked the helper though to bring him out to the potty area every hour from 5pm to 9pm but was told he never pooped.

Upon observation, he poops upon waking up, more or less 4 hours after lunch, and just now, 4 hours after dinner. So no potty between breakfast and lunch.

I could say he now has a fresh empty bladder except for the 20 pcs I gave him for his night short training.

Keeping fingers crossed that I'll wake up tomorrow morning with a clean crate.

Thanks for the advice!

Goodnight.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Beibitoi is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 54
Thankfully my puppy never had another accident since my last post here. All I needed to do was to change his dinner time to 6pm. Big thanks to your advice!

Now, this is a little off topic but still related to potty training.

It's rainy season here in the Philippines and the only dry place I can set my foot on is inside our house. With that I had to bring my dog to the covered garage. Had a hard time making him go potty on concrete. More so because it was wet. Might try temporarily putting newspapers or artificial turf in one of the elevated areas here.

A friend however suggested an alternative. Putting a pot full of soil for the pup to smell. According to him, the smell of the soil would make the pup think that he's in the right area regardless of where he is standing on (be it grass, soil, concrete, newspaper, etc.), and even if it's wet. Has anyone tried this method? Would I be better off using potty training drops?



Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Beibitoi is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,527
Neither dogs nor humans melt in the rain. Take your dog outside to potty regardless of weather. Most of my dogs did not relish being in the pouring rain so they hurried it up. The first few times may be uncomfortable but my guess is that very shortly he will learn to go quickly and get back in out of the weather.
Kairo's Dad likes this.
Sabis mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome