Please help! Geno and how to become alpha to him. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Please help! Geno and how to become alpha to him.

This is my first GSD and i was wondering why my boy, Geno, only follows commands sometimes. Usually with food. Especially if we are outside in the yard, or when the kids are in the yard playing. He follows me around everywhere I go but doesn't listen when i tell him to come back in the house. Or if i try to settle him down. I feel like since he is almost as big as me that he feels more dominate. When my fiance is home, he listens great to him. However, that is not good because he is hardly home. When he is, he is usually sleeping. If anyone has any tips i would greatly appreciate it. Geno is an amazing dog. I just worry that he will get hurt or hurt someone else accidentally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:47 AM
Master Member

Do more training with him to strengthen his commands. The whole alpha thing is old school.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 AM
Elite Member

How old is he?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

He is 7 months old.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
Do more training with him to strengthen his commands. The whole alpha thing is old school.
Oh he knows all of them so very well. We practice all the time. He does amazing with treats. But will look at me and just do the opposite if i don't have something to give him. Multiple people told me he challenges me. If i tell him to stay in the yard he barks at me. Like he is telling me off.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 AM
Elite Member

He's still a puppy but sooner or later you will have to put consequence to his refusal to follow your commands if he does in fact understand them. Keep training, keep him on a leash.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok. Will do. Thank you. I never walk him without one because i never know how he will act that day. Any good training tips? Especially on leash?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

My friend has a GSD and she used a lot of force with him. Now he is mean. I want to avoid that completely. The barking back is because he is still young? How do i know he respects me?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 AM
Knighted Member

A few training sessions with a GSD-experienced, balanced trainer could help you immensely! I hate to say it, but when he defies you like that, he is "telling you off", and you're allowing that!

Don't issue a command you can't enforce, or when compliance is highly unlikely...and don't ever give a command and not follow through to enforce it!

By that I don't at all mean be overbearing, or authoritative. I mean be cautious yourself when you choose to, or not to, give any command. Lots of times when distractions are high and there's a lot going on, it's a bad time to give a puppy, or dog, any command! Judge the situation, control yourself, and don't give your puppy a command when it's unlikely he'll listen!

When you do give a command, don't ever let him not do what he's been told! Again, not confrontational, not a fight, just a clear, calm, demand...and don't let him not listen....
Aly, Sabis mom and ausdland like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Master Member

Well, I tend to disagree. Your puppy clearly does not know the commands so very well if he completely ignores you in certain settings. Sit means sit, no matter where you are or what's going on. He doesn't get that yet. You need to work on distractions with him. That has nothing to do with being alpha, and don't let anybody tell you it does. I agree with Tim; you have to enforce every command you give.

For example, if you are in the backyard with the kids, have a drag line on him (basically a 30ft leash) and when you call him, give him 2 seconds to come. If he doesn't, gently reel him in on the leash. Come is then not optional, and you just enforced it without getting physical with him.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page