Bite inhibition training going well, but what's proper to do when they lock down? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 2 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 2 Post By Slamdunc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Bite inhibition training going well, but what's proper to do when they lock down?

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to remain on the positive enforcement side of things. This will be my first shepherd that I'm trying to teach the positive reinforcement aspect of bite inhibition, where as I'm doing the "ouch" and rewarding her if she desists and leaving the room if she doesn't. She's actually doing pretty well. Responding well to it, usually is a lot calmer when I return after leaving her.

However, every now and then she just completely locks down. Whether it's on my arm or say on a piece of c!othing. No ammount of "ouch" will back her off.

What's the most proper way to handle this? I'm trying to desist forcing her mouth open or being heavy handed with her, but my arms are pretty tore up right now from pulling my limbs out without using any force on her. I obviously can't sit there and let her chew on me if she's not responding to "ouch".

Appreciate the tips and how you handle breaking "lockjaw"

Last edited by Dutchy; 07-15-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM

A toy on a rope wildly animated will be more appealing than chomping on your arm.Keep one with you always
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...nhibition.html

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge

Last edited by dogma13; 07-15-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Link
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

I would do whatever it took to save my arm and body from an infection. I think she will be able to handle this.
Genalis_mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 AM
Knighted Member

Teach your dog to stop when you say stop! I Loved to play and wrestle with my puppy, so I didn't ever teach her to not bite me. BUT! I did teach her to stop when I said STOP. And I did that by just sort of squaring up to her and saying it in a demanding tone. Stop means stop! Play ends now! There were times that I was laughing so hard that even saying stop would have been difficult, but when I did say it she always did listen...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say your dog is locked on. But when that happens I'd lose all sense of play and demand she let go in a very clear, and demanding tone, and I wouldn't stop until she did let go! Not a fight, it's a demand. It's kind of hard to explain but easy to demonstrate. It's really all in your tone and demeanor! But it has to be non negotiable also, don't ever say it unless you mean it, and if you say it don't ever allow non compliance...it's not a request.
car2ner and Genalis_mom like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 AM

If my dogs latch onto me and don't let go, I stop moving completely. Fingers go in the back of the jaw behind the teeth and squeeze a bit. When they let go I get big and glare a moment...but just a moment. Then I swap to a redirect and praise approved behavior..."OK, lets go find your tug, good dog".

If I want my dog to release a toy in play I wouldn't do it this way, but if my dog is hurting me I'm going to let them know with my body language that I won't put up with it. The play following the release is to let the pup know I still accept them and we are still good. The dog needs an outlet and playing together with toys helps quite a bit.

If it is just the scrapes of sharp puppy teeth from play and not a chomp, well, that is on me.
tim_s_adams likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I've been getting more firm with her when she crosses the line and it's been showing better results. The redirection with toys has helped as well. Thank you much.

She also just learned take it, drop it, and leave it. So hoping with more practice she will overall be a less impulsive pup.

Last edited by Dutchy; 07-16-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to remain on the positive enforcement side of things. This will be my first shepherd that I'm trying to teach the positive reinforcement aspect of bite inhibition, where as I'm doing the "ouch" and rewarding her if she desists and leaving the room if she doesn't. She's actually doing pretty well. Responding well to it, usually is a lot calmer when I return after leaving her.

However, every now and then she just completely locks down. Whether it's on my arm or say on a piece of c!othing. No ammount of "ouch" will back her off.

What's the most proper way to handle this? I'm trying to desist forcing her mouth open or being heavy handed with her, but my arms are pretty tore up right now from pulling my limbs out without using any force on her. I obviously can't sit there and let her chew on me if she's not responding to "ouch".

Appreciate the tips and how you handle breaking "lockjaw"
Simply stay calm and lift up on her collar. No mouth pinching, no yelling "ouch", no screaming, no shaking by the scruff of the neck, just lift straight up by the collar and take the puppies front feet off the ground. Hold the puppy calmly until it lets go. Then give it something appropriate to bite.

One other thing is that you really do not want to "pull your limbs out" of the dog's mouth. That will leave a mark for sure.

It's teething and this is what puppies do. All puppies, not just GSD's. Learn to enjoy the puppy phase, it will be gone before you know it.

Being calm, not yelling, not losing your temper and lots of patience are the key. Screaming or yelling, fast hand movements and pulling your arms away will elicit more of a reaction from the dog. Stay calm and puppy on.
Jax08 and Bramble like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Simply stay calm and lift up on her collar. No mouth pinching, no yelling "ouch", no screaming, no shaking by the scruff of the neck, just lift straight up by the collar and take the puppies front feet off the ground. Hold the puppy calmly until it lets go. Then give it something appropriate to bite.

One other thing is that you really do not want to "pull your limbs out" of the dog's mouth. That will leave a mark for sure.

It's teething and this is what puppies do. All puppies, not just GSD's. Learn to enjoy the puppy phase, it will be gone before you know it.

Being calm, not yelling, not losing your temper and lots of patience are the key. Screaming or yelling, fast hand movements and pulling your arms away will elicit more of a reaction from the dog. Stay calm and puppy on.
Thank you!!! This has been working as well. I've seen very good improvement since I posted this thanks to all your input. She's doing very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in