Three days in, how are we doing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Talking Three days in, how are we doing?

Background: 8 week old Purebreed female. With us only 3 days so far

Hello all, I have been using the search function as much as possible but I also need to get my post count up to be able to access some options so I wanted to just drop a general summary of how things are going with my pup after 3 days and make sure I'm on the right course.

1. Potty training is going so so. Seems like we have her completely defecating outside, however, she is still peeing in the house. She seems to like to just twinkle a bit. We will take her out, she won't pee, then will come back and twinkle again after a few minutes. I giver her praise and treats when she goes outside. When she pees inside, I try to clap loudly and "No" and then immediately take her out.

So far I've resisted taking water away, except right before bedtime. And she's doing great in the crate, so far no accidents. Waking up in the middle of the night to take her out and she's holding it. We take her out immediately before and after any crate time. Pees and usually poops after crate time no problem. It's just that time she gets inside when we are playing with her that she will just stop and pause, and let loose.

How's this sound so far? I'm hoping within the week she will be potty trained and I'm just worrying a little too much.

Friends keep recommending the rubbing the nose in the pee, but I'm trying to avoid negative reinforcement that I used on prior dogs who eventually developed protectiveness and anxiety issues.

2. Other than that, she had diarrhea which we were told might be a side affect to her 8 week Vaccine. Today it finally seemed a bit more solid which was good because we were about to call the vet.

3. Her reactions to other dogs are mixed. Sometimes excited. We are keeping her distance until she gets her next round of vaccines but my girlfriend seems to want to pick her up when shes around other dogs. I'm more of the, let her remain down and explore the situation herself. She will pull away if she is afraid. Appreciate any sound knowledge on that. It's confusing how it seems to necessary to socialize them with other dogs before 16 weeks, but at the same time they should avoid other dogs until their completely vaccinated which is around the same time.

4. I've read about a technique called the "collar grab" when they get more into obedience training. I'm not finding much info about it and the description I got didn't completely paint a good picture of how to do it. But the reasoning behind it seemed to make sense so I wanted to explore further about it. Unfortunately searching has no turned up much into. It's a tough term to search since collar and grab pull up a variety of posts on different topics.

Thank you for any feedback. Look forward to being an active contributor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:48 PM

I'll just start with 'DO NOT RUB YOUR PUP'S NOSE IN HER ELIMINATIONS!' Not only is it disgusting, it is cruel and will make no sense to the puppy. You are fortunate to be able to witness the accident, where you should scoop her up and take her out. Then praise when she finishes outside. No need to scold her, she has zero 'staying' power at this age.

I would not be introducing her to other dogs or even taking her off my property until she is fully vaccinated. Picking her up when other dogs are around may cause her to feel she needs protection from them. Avoid other dogs until she can hold her own with them.

I have no idea what a 'collar grab' is, but it sounds harsh to me. Keep in mind you are dealing with an infant. Any man handling done now could easily lead you to what you don't want, an anxious dog with fearful tendencies.

I am not a trainer and I don't play one on TV, either. This is just my 2 cents.
Sunsilver likes this.

No beast so fierce
Simon 6/2016
EPI, man aggressive, ball crazy, fearless protector, my heart
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Elite Member

Another thing- wherever she has eliminated on the floor, clean it up using an odor eliminating enzyme. You can get these in grocery stores in the pet dept. They can smell that they went there before and will be drawn to that spot again.

So whenever you take her outside, take her to the same spot that smells like her pee. Then have a puppy piddled party when she does go there.

If you catch her in the act in the house, scoop her up and take her to her outside spot. If you find that she has had an accident in the house do not make a scene, say nothing just clean it up with deodorizer. They don't know why you are upset because they live in the moment.
tc68 and Aly like this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

Here is something very important - about exposure to other dogs. Even people who have touched other dogs or walked through were other dogs have been can bring this deadly virus. Your puppy does not need to play with other puppies.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-hospital.html

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Knighted Member

Maybe the collar grab you're referring to is something like this:

The Collar Grab Training Game

I personally have never done this, but it does sound like it might work.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Master Member

If you can get your pup potty trained in 1 week, you are way way better at it than I am and I'd take lessons from you the next pup I get. I don't know but this might or might not help you....I kept a poop/pee log from day one. I wrote down what time he pooped and peed everyday. He's about to turn 6 months old in 2 days and I still keep a log but just for pooping. He still poops 5-6 times a day and keeping a log of that helps me predict when he'll have to go again. I'll keep the log going on until his pooping is cut in half to 2-3 times a day and/or he establishes a regular routine. I know writing it all down is a lot of work, but it helped me to keep track and predict. I did take his water away at 8pm every night and it helped a lot. I didn't have to wake up and take him out in the middle of the night too much because of it. Good luck and congrats on the new pup.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfortunatefoster View Post
I'll just start with 'DO NOT RUB YOUR PUP'S NOSE IN HER ELIMINATIONS!' Not only is it disgusting, it is cruel and will make no sense to the puppy. You are fortunate to be able to witness the accident, where you should scoop her up and take her out. Then praise when she finishes outside. No need to scold her, she has zero 'staying' power at this age.

I would not be introducing her to other dogs or even taking her off my property until she is fully vaccinated. Picking her up when other dogs are around may cause her to feel she needs protection from them. Avoid other dogs until she can hold her own with them.

I have no idea what a 'collar grab' is, but it sounds harsh to me. Keep in mind you are dealing with an infant. Any man handling done now could easily lead you to what you don't want, an anxious dog with fearful tendencies.

I am not a trainer and I don't play one on TV, either. This is just my 2 cents.
Thank you! I didn't want to do the nose rub thing. Sounds unnecessary. And thank you for the further input. Everything you said sounds good and pretty consistent with my current thinking. Thank you for the reinforcement!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Another thing- wherever she has eliminated on the floor, clean it up using an odor eliminating enzyme. You can get these in grocery stores in the pet dept. They can smell that they went there before and will be drawn to that spot again.

So whenever you take her outside, take her to the same spot that smells like her pee. Then have a puppy piddled party when she does go there.

If you catch her in the act in the house, scoop her up and take her to her outside spot. If you find that she has had an accident in the house do not make a scene, say nothing just clean it up with deodorizer. They don't know why you are upset because they live in the moment.
Thank you! Luckily I just got that advice as well yesterday and purchased one this morning. We were using regular spot cleaner for the rug and could definitely contribute to why she keeps going in the house. Now that I think about it, she almost ALWAYS sniffs the ground before she goes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Here is something very important - about exposure to other dogs. Even people who have touched other dogs or walked through were other dogs have been can bring this deadly virus. Your puppy does not need to play with other puppies.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-hospital.html
Thank you for the reinforcement! I'm going to read this now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
If you can get your pup potty trained in 1 week, you are way way better at it than I am and I'd take lessons from you the next pup I get. I don't know but this might or might not help you....I kept a poop/pee log from day one. I wrote down what time he pooped and peed everyday. He's about to turn 6 months old in 2 days and I still keep a log but just for pooping. He still poops 5-6 times a day and keeping a log of that helps me predict when he'll have to go again. I'll keep the log going on until his pooping is cut in half to 2-3 times a day and/or he establishes a regular routine. I know writing it all down is a lot of work, but it helped me to keep track and predict. I did take his water away at 8pm every night and it helped a lot. I didn't have to wake up and take him out in the middle of the night too much because of it. Good luck and congrats on the new pup.
Thank you for the congrats! I figured I'm overreacting and have expectations a little high. My last Shepherd we potty trained in a day.

What makes it so hard with her is she isn't really "letting loose" when she pees. It's not that much. My previous shepherds would let loose and make a pretty descent puddle. But most of the time that was more on us because we might've waited a little too long to take them out.

But our current pup doesn't have much consistency to it as far as time is concerned. And will go drink some water after coming back inside and within 15 minutes, leak a bit onto the carpet. Fairly small amounts.

I've had her out well over a dozen times over the past few days, since I take her out immediately after she pees.

I'll just keep at it!

Thank you though, it's great to hear other peoples experiences even with my previous experiences with shepherds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page