Potty training rewards: When to stop? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Potty training rewards: When to stop?

Potty training has gone well the last couple of weeks or so. I am curious to know when to stop rewarding for such behavior? I am sure this is a very subjective subject. Should I just go with my gut and try it out? I have noticed there are times that I have missed the opportunity to reward him (as I discover new piles from time to time) He also starts obedience training this week. Pretty stoked about that.

Thanks in advance for any help!
--Scott
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Master Member

I guess my question is how are you rewarding? Are you giving him treats or just praising him? I stopped giving my shepherd puppy treats relatively quickly. Once he got the point, I started praising him without treats and only gave them every once in a while, and I eventually dropped the treats completely. I probably stopped giving treats within two weeks or so. I still praise my 7 year old golden retriever when she goes to the bathroom. I usually praise her if I ask her to go and she does, or if she does it in a weird place upon my urging.
Scottzilla1 likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

How do you reward?

I have a puppy right now, brought him home at 8 weeks, he's 14 weeks now. Even though he hasn't had an accident in the house for about 3 weeks now, I still consider him being potty trained. He's still a little guy.

My reward is probably generic, he gets a "good boy" for letting me know when he has to go out and for actually going to the bathroom outside. But I don't reward with treats, toys or whatever. Just verbal low-key praise and we move on.
Scottzilla1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

We give treats and praise when we see him go. Without seeing him go, he just get's the praise, i.e. when i discover poo in the yard. I am usually fairly quick to clean up the poo so it is pretty easy to tell a fresh one.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

My dog is 8 years old and still gets praise, hearty praise for doing her business. Because I believe that good behavior should always be recognized and rewarded. For people and animals.
Aly, Mudypoz and Scottzilla1 like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I suppose I should have been clearer in my question. I'm all for giving praise for good behavior. I'm just wondering when you all might have stopped giving treats as part of the reward?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottzilla1 View Post
I suppose I should have been clearer in my question. I'm all for giving praise for good behavior. I'm just wondering when you all might have stopped giving treats as part of the reward?

I faded the treats once the behavior was fixed and being offered independently, but she still gets a treat when we come back in the house.
Scottzilla1 likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Aly
Master Member

I don't give treats when potty training; just rely on vocal praise and soothing strokes. My goal is to make potty training no big deal --- reward worthy, but not too much excitement. Years ago, I had an Airedale who was ferociously food oriented. He'd actually squat walk while peeing to get to a treat.

Not at all what I'd had in mind...

Aly
Scottzilla1 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
I don't give treats when potty training; just rely on vocal praise and soothing strokes. My goal is to make potty training no big deal --- reward worthy, but not too much excitement. Years ago, I had an Airedale who was ferociously food oriented. He'd actually squat walk while peeing to get to a treat.

Not at all what I'd had in mind...

Aly
You worded this much better than me, this is my thought as well.

Trust me, I am super happy when my pup goes to the bathroom outside, especially when he let's me know he needs to. He's subtle about it and will quietly wait by the door. I have to be quick. I do smile at him and tell him good boy. But treats and more animated praises I reserve for our training sessions, especially on recalls right now!

Scott, I think you can phase the treats out at this point if you're comfortable with it.
Aly and Scottzilla1 like this.

Last edited by Courtney; 07-06-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: fix error
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page